Missed questions

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Missed questions

Postby Nahor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi,

Here are a couple of questions that never really got asked:

Please tell us about the new art and Jeff Laubenstein's (sp?) involvement? Will there be new art not done by him? He has a definite look, but I love some of the different artists' works as well. Can we get some tastes in the near future via blog updates?

Secondly, will you be doing promotional materials (you kind of answered this) a la the 3 flyers from ED1, posters and handouts? And will you have an ambassador program where volunteers can go to their local shop and run a scripted session? I'm not the best DM (I love to play), but with a good outline, I think I could give it a go to help spread the world.

I look forward to more updates.

Thanks!

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Missed questions

Postby Mataxes » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Jeff is the Art Director. He is the one in charge of commissioning artwork and overseeing the general artistic look of the line. He may contribute some work of his own, but we're still in the early days of art. As we get stuff, I will share.

Promo materials are in the pipe; probably a quick-start adventure with pre-gens. Posters/flyers/etc are certainly possible. An ambassador program (I would probably call them Questors) is on the radar. That's a logistical/organization thing. As I said in the Kickstarter idea thread, my background is largely creative -- my experience as a manager type is limited to being one of the people that helped run our local World of Darkness LARP. I'm doing my best to get up to speed, but there's a lot of plates I'm trying to keep in the air right now.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I asked in the other thread but I to ask here... how big are the core books going to be (sort of a best approximate pretty please)? I realize that you won't know the exact size because it's not totally finished and that's totally cool. :)

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:57 pm

And when will a decision be made for digest or full size?

Many on the KS are holding off bidding until a decision made (and towards full size).

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Knowing the size of the book and approximate page count is going to be supremely important now... if these books stay black and white, are digest size and have a lesser page count than Burning Wheel Gold with a higher purchase cost I am going to see this entire thing as them pushing forward as fast as possible to get as many books out as soon as possible and I think that's going to end up being a bad idea for them.

Note: Burning Wheel Gold is a Hardcover, black and white roleplaying product with a page count of 600 pages written and published by a company who never used kickstarter to fund his books and he self-published them and the total cost for the book is $25.00. It is considered the top in both quality and production values as far as digest, black and white rpg books go. He never did a kickstarter.

Another smaller than standard size rpg product that is full color is Tenra Bansho Zero, a game that comes in two books, a world book and a rules book. The Hardbacks came in a $70.00 set, one book with a page count of 240 and another with a page count of 456... a total of 656 pages for under a hundred dollars. It is also published from a company that is a one man production who took the time and effort to translate the rpg from its a original Japanese rpg version. His Kickstarter amassed over 1,200 backers I believe.

So if these two one man companies can produce such amazing quality products by themselves for as low a cost as they were able to... why is FASA Games having such high costs without even a commitment on how their own books will look? Right now you have your Hardcover versions at $50 a pop per book and we don't even know how many pages approximately it will be.

After thinking about it some I am not as against going digest sized as I was before... I can see the merits of going with a smaller overall size book. They are easier to hold in the hands and they can potentially fit in a purse. ;)
Last edited by Darth Quiris on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:39 pm

We're looking at a (roughly) 350-page target per book.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:13 am

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:01 pm

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:05 pm

I have a question relating to the Questors sourcebook. Have you considered re designing the rules for Questors?

The reason why I ask is that I've had a long running Passion focussed campaign and I have playtested them extensively. I even designed the Paragon Discipline, whose magic is fuelled by the belief that their Patron Passion protects them for a higher purpose (which may or may not be true).

Despite this I've come to dislike the Questor Talent over time and think it could be better handled. I still like that it is an add on to a Discipline rather than a Discipline itself but the different powers are all over the shop in terms of power and having three effects to one Talent doesn't seem right to me. I have some suggestions for alternatives which I will briefly outline below. I've thought about benefits and drawbacks of each but I'd be interested to hear feedback before going into greater detail. All involve splitting the Questor Talent into 3 or more so that each individual power is a separate Talent.

My first thought was to make the Questor Talents available as extra Talent Options or bonus Talents at approrpriate tiers. The Questor Talent itself would be redesigned so that it only included one effect balanced for first Circle related to the Passion in question. Acquiring this Talent would mean the character would be deemed a Questor and would unlock the ability to gain the other Talents later.

Another option is to have the Questor Talent as a guage for when the powers become available and itself have some generic effect such as knowledge based on the Passion in question. When the Talent reaches rank 5 etc you may buy another Questor type Talent.

The last thing I came up with is to design some generic rules for half magic adepts and say Questors are like these. So basically a Questor/ half magic adept would be similar to a Discipline but not as prescribed. You would have a rank in Questor which would be determined by something other than legend points and as this rank increases more Talents become available.

Anyway, on second thoughts this may not be the thread for this but thought I'd put the ideas out there,

Return to “Product Discussion”