ED4 Preview #3

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Danger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ED4 Preview #3

Postby Danger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:08 am

Danger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Danger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 am

Danger

Postby Danger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 am

Apologies for the double post. I hadn't had coffee yet.
Last edited by Danger on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:04 am

Danger

Postby Danger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:45 am

Danger

Postby Danger » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:55 pm

For sure, a huge focus is combat, both in time spent gaming and in words spent on rules. Read official adventures and see how many of the core, critical conflicts are not big boss fights. How many are sneaking, climbing, trapping, racing, negotiating? I am trying to write in other challenges for my players, but a lot of the time I'm writing mini-game rules to make them happen.

Rolling and missing round after round is not fun. If 30 minutes of session is combat, and that's all you are doing, that is not fun. This game should be fun to play.

I'm not sure that i like the idea of expanding the karma on attacks, though. I do think it changes the focus, because karma is applying discipline magic, not just a bennie mechanic.

Some solutions might include: karma on damage for weaponsmiths (especially with weapons they crafted themselves!), combat options (such as a flurry that has increased chance of success but does less damage - death by a thousand cuts), and making other abilities more cool. Climb talent should basically make you a monkey, and at higher levels a spider. Thieves should be able to sneak through the center of a battlefield unmolested and meld into the shadows. They should be able to steal the quiver off your back as you are trying to draw your bow. Weaponsmiths should be able to spot the weakness in your pole arm and shiver it into a thousand splinters with a well-placed strike.

Basically, effective in combat shouldn't necessarily mean doing damage but not quite as much as the real stars of the show. Right now, the complaint is that they play third or fourth fiddle, and the suggestion is to make them play 2nd fiddle. I'm sorry, but weapon smiths should be playing tuba; thieves, perhaps, the piccolo. Swordmasters, definitely fiddle, maybe piano. Warriors: stand up bass or percussion.Troubadours: the triangle.

Kidding! Only T'skrang have to play the triangle.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:10 pm

Roth

Postby Roth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”