ED4 Preview #3

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ED4 Preview #3

Postby Mataxes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 pm

For what it's worth, I use the "traditional" Circle advancement rules in my own game.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Trejes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Trejes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Don't like HPs and don't like the massive use of karma since ED3.
If more than half of your talents are disciplin talents and you have enough karma points to use one with every roll then it is nothing special to do it. Everybody will use karma everytime (exept for non-adepts, I know). But if you have to weight the LP loss against the benefit of using a karma point, you as a player have options. And having options is always good = more fun.
But these changes are so easy to house rule: just give every discipline an additional karamritual and durability talent in circle one and two.

Nahor

Postby Nahor » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:01 pm

i like having to spend LP to regain karma b/c it introduces risk reward and makes people use their karma more wisely b/c using too much costs to much and one intense RP session or Combat session could equal enough karma drainage that the LP you spend potentially means sacrificing a Rank on a talent. Yes having to keep track of how much karma you use/buy/how much lp you have left is a bit of a book keeping task, but meh. I don't mind it.

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Do the karma changes make karma cheaper/free to attain? I got so hung up on the Durability thing that I didn't pay attention to the karma thing and for getting hung up on Durability I apologize.

I've always been puzzled as to why people could multi-Discipline in Earthdawn... thematically that makes no sense at all and I feel that was always something added to the game because multiclassing in other certain games was so expected but thematically and world setting wise if a person's Discipline really shaped the way a person looked at the world, and they had performed these magical rituals and karma rituals that basically link a person to their respective Discipline than in all honesty that would take up so much of a person's life that to even enter into another Discipline should take years to achieve and the personal cost of changing their world view to take on a new Discipline should stop/sever their link to their previous Discipline...

Unless those people have attained a personal Legend Rank that is so high and they have also achieved a personal Circle rank of a particular number, which could represent these unique individuals having gained enough of an inner reserve of inner magical potential that it would now be feasible for them to adapt and take it upon themselves to enter into a new Discipline without that huge cost for weaker individuals... and in this case one of the truest signs of a powerful and Legendary person is that they are two Disciplines.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:47 am

Josh Harrison --

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:02 am

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:17 am

Josh Harrison --

zayven

Postby zayven » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 am

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:51 am

Has any thought been given to half-magic adepts with regards to karma? Without requiring Karma Ritual as a Talent, it becomes a lot more viable for them to use, and would likely give them a boost in significance.

Return to “Product Discussion”