ED4 Preview #3

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ED4 Preview #3

Postby Roth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Roth
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Roth » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:25 am

My bad I didn't realize we could only voice concern once after that we just need to accept.

zayven

Postby zayven » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:39 am

etherial

Postby etherial » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 am

Roth

Postby Roth » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:52 pm

zayven

Postby zayven » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Duly noted, Kasbak. I'll be sure to keep it on topic going forward.

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:33 pm

I never did chime in on the discussion about combat vs non-combat... I don't even know how that evolved in this discussion thread but its been an interesting one.

One girls opinion here...

Earthdawn is a magical world with a world that is meshed with its mechanics. It's a game first and the object of the game is to have fun. What makes Earthdawn fun for me is the growing and evolving story of the characters I make, how the character's Legend grows and how the character lives it out. Earthdawn is a setting that is focused on the Legend, and that means Story. That means Character.

Combat is, quite simply, a very minor aspect of what makes Earthdawn... well, Earthdawn.

If you want combat, play D&D. That game is specifically designed around a combat paradigm.

Earthdawn is not. It's paradigm is subtly different and as many have pointed out... not all Disciplines are good at combat. This is fantastic. This makes everybody different. Kinda samey within the same Discipline itself but if you have characters of various Disciplines in the same group than there is a huge variety of potential stories and Legends to tell.

Still, everybody wants to at least do alright in the majority of situations.... so it might be a good idea if each Discipline had access to at least a Talent, maybe through a Talent Option of 2nd or 3rd Circle, that is combat related in some way, or for those more combat focused Disciplines... give them a social Talent as a Talent Option if the player wants to take it.

That's how I see Earthdawn. :cheerleader:

Return to “Product Discussion”