ED4 Preview #1

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ED4 Preview #1

Postby etherial » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nahor » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:36 pm

loving it so far. could you do a sample combat where armor is affected? I know traditionally if armor applies you just do damage over the armor value otherwise it's absorbed. So how does it work now?

Thanks!

Darth Quiris

Postby Darth Quiris » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:00 am

I kind of like having separate Talents for each of the Disciplines.

An Archer should have Impressive Shot.
A Bard should have Impressive Performance (or whatever its called).
A Warrior should have something like Impressive Strike.

Those Names evoke a certain vibe and feel and brings out more flavor in the Discipline.

Just having a single Talent called Impressive... that's just boring.

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:51 am

Henghyoke

Postby Henghyoke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Preview #1 opens up another thought for me.

The +2 bonus per success level could easily and simply be scaled to reflect the power level of the campaign being played. If you want a "more" powerful game, make it a +3 or +4 bonus per success; if you want a "less" powerful game, make it a +1 bonus.

Maybe the bonus is tiered and at some point in the Discipline advancement, one of the abilities is: "Extra +1 bonus per success level."

Just thinking out loud and braindumping. :D

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:51 pm

I agree, this open up a LOT of design room. From scaling up the bonus for magical weapons ("keen blades", etc), Discipline bonuses (or Talent Knacks), etc. This also open up design space in the Airship rules, but it will take some re-thinking of such things like the Barrier rules. I can even see the possibility of leaving the "oldschool" Armor Defeat in as a very high circle ability, Dragon ability, etc.

Henghyoke

Postby Henghyoke » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 pm

And another brainfart: If every two additional successes = a +4 bonus, why not allow the option for a Step 4/D6 die to be rolled instead? That allows for a less-than-average (1-3), an expected average (4), but also the chance of an above-average 5, and a 6 makes for a 'splosion, so you have an opportunity to roll up. While it's more dice to roll, that's not a bad thing with ED's Step System.

etherial

Postby etherial » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Henghyoke

Postby Henghyoke » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 pm

My bad, sorry. I didn't realize it had changed from +2 per success level to +4 per success level. Not following rpg.net, so that's invisible knowledge. :)

etherial

Postby etherial » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”