ED4 Preview #1

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Notaure
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ED4 Preview #1

Postby Notaure » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Notaure, a french fan of Earthdawn

shiinx
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby shiinx » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Don't forget Shield Charge if your second weapon happens to be a shield. But your example is a tricky one. Talents that (more or less) replace earlier talents may seem unfavourable, but offering them as a simple talent knack at higher circles strikes me as too powerful.
Maybe some of them could be reworked to take into account the base talent. For example, Multistrike could completely rely on the respective close combat talent for tests and only denote the maximum number of attacks by its rank. I don't know though how second attack could be integrated into this idea - maybe this one is okay as a high-level knack. I believe though that second weapon should stay its own talent as it basically symbolizes how well you can handle your off-hand.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 pm

Roth

Postby Roth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:38 am

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:36 am

Hmmm... It would be great if talents rely on each other (as in example with Melee, Second, and Multistrike). Maybe a fixed bonus to result of core talent rather than separate throw? Or talents unlocking more advanced options for example:

Melee Weapons
Talents Using Melee Weapons as base (Parry, Second Weapon, Multistrike, Riposte)

Parry: Roll Melee Weapons + Parry (fixed bonus) + Weapon Size vs enemy's attack. You can Parry number of attacks up to Parry Rank
OR
Parry: Melee Weapons (Fixed Bonus) + Roll Parry + Weapon Size vs enemy's attack. You can Parry number of attacks up to Parry Rank.

I would go with the second option because it reflects that the better you know how to find the better you will parry and the risk of failure is lower.

True Shot: Missile Weapons (Fixed Bonus) + Roll True Shot. You must spend karma on True Shot roll until you hit or you spent True Shot points.

Or we can go with Athletics like someone said to replace Swimming, Climbing and Jumping

Avoid Blow: Athletics + Roll Avoid Blow. You can avoid up to Avoid Blow Rank attacks per round.
Duvvelsheyss

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:48 am

Notaure

Postby Notaure » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:33 pm

A simple question: What is that the fourth edition will be compatible with the previous ones ( b/c of succes levels and armor-defeating hits news rules)?
Last edited by Notaure on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Notaure, a french fan of Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

To answer Roth's question about Impressive Shot, it took me a long time to figure this out, but after the change to a social buff the player can immediately call for an Intimidation social check (and in ED1 it did indeed auto-trigger that at a certain success level). Also, it was a 9th Circle Talent in Ed1, and is currently a 7th Circle talent in Ed3.

Danger

Postby Danger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Xastiin

Postby Xastiin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 pm

While I like the change in determining success levels, as it eliminates the need to consult a table, I feel that with the removal of armour-defeating hits the game loses something, as, at least in my gaming experience, armour defeating hits can cause quite a bit of excitement, either delivering or receiving them ;).
Also, as has been noted, the proposed chance increases the chance of a really stunning hit that does nothing, especially against heavily armoured targets.

Return to “Product Discussion”