Barsaive at War question

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Barsaive at War question

Postby Nahor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Stormcrow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Stormcrow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:49 pm

I could see how the destruction of Vivaine could be distressing if I was very invested in a sourcebook that I loved, but I never had the sourcebook. I thought that part was cool. The Earthdawn thing did bother me, I guess. I also thought the idea of the sacrifice of Vasdenjas was interesting because I was really invested in him because of Creatures. However, it should have been a huge event and it got something like 1/2 of one paragraph. If Vasdenjas was going to give his life, it should have been foreshadowed and thought out and not just to prevent one attack on the Earthdawn which could have gone down in the next attack.

I don't know how much it hewed to the outline or not, but it read like an outline and I wasn't impressed with the art at all, and the art is what made me pick up ED in the first place. And the type and layout were awful. God bless LRG, but I think they were just out of their league. Earthdawn is extremely ambitious, it always has been.

No pressure, new FASA.

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:39 am

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Man, speaking of artwork, the Brom cover for Prelude to War is probably my favorite RPG game cover of all time.

Thinking…thinking…thinking…

Maybe some of the covers Brom did for Dark Sun (the Dragon Kings sourcebook comes to mind). Actually, though, I would be remiss to not put Rick Berry's incredible cover for Earthdawn 1st edition on that short list. I don't know that I've ever seen a cover that made me want to know more about a game than that one.

Fasa really had the best art in the business in the mid 1990s. The art in Shadowrun and Earthdawn was almost always great. Even the artists that I was never crazy about (namely Tom Baxa, Larry McDougal, and whoever it was that always had seemingly useless cables connecting equipment to clothing) were at least distinctive in a field where bland conformity is usually the norm.

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:44 pm

I think the artist that always had cables connecting everything was Kent Burles. He did the art for the Great Thera section of the Theran Empire sourcebook. I didn't dislike his stuff, but I was just always mystified by the cords and cables that seemed to connect weapons to armor in strange places.

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:31 am

Perhaps those were just an interesting interpretation of threads?

Return to “Product Discussion”