Earthdawn: Fourth Edition coming in 2014

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Nahor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Earthdawn: Fourth Edition coming in 2014

Postby Nahor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:24 am

zayven
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby zayven » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm sorry but I have to quote myself from the other post:

If we are looking foreward to ED4 I want more setting, more story, more unique Earthdawn stuff, more fun with a (almost) cliche free fantasy RPG. If the system will not be fundamentaly changed do with it/tweak it as much as you want. I'm a big boy now (not like in the 90s when I started playing), I can house rule everything back to what I liked more.

Ah man, when I think about it, I realy love the setting. Classic fantasy stuff, but a really good background story, also well written.
The idea that Earthdawn is our past.
All the typical fantasy races but every one with something new or something changed (the elves fallen from grace, the dwarfs as merchants and glue for the peoples of Barsaive, boring humans like in all rpgs but with versatality and as the mother race of the other races, trolls not just über-orks but obsessed with the concept of honor, obsidiman going back to their mother rock: always made me think of the Aborigines and their dreamtime, and so on)

PLEASE, give me more of this, not just a new edition with some optimized rules. :cheerleader:

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:00 pm

IMO you can discuss about rule changes all day long but new gamers will buy Earthdawn because of the story, the setting, maybe the art but not 'cause of a highly developed rule system. Old players will buy ED4 anyway or they are lost to the game since some time.
Everybody has his or her own opinion about proper rules so as a developer team you can never please everybody.

I like to get a glimpse of cool stuff to come, of real news, of exciting new ideas to stir up my fantasy.
Give me something I can tell my friends to get full of expectation for ED4.
(I will not be able to lure my friends to the upcoming kickstarter by telling them: go to fasagames' forum and see by yourself how many new and optimised rules there will be in the next edition.)

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:18 am

Open playtests! :D
Duvvelsheyss

bigity

Postby bigity » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 pm

As long as they aren't 'pay to playtest' ala the new Star Wars RPG.

Mogre

Postby Mogre » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:10 am

Stormcrow

Postby Stormcrow » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 am

I'm pleased that you are considering having a look at ship combat. I could write at length with all the issues I've had with it. I'm not going to as it would be boring for people but it all tends to come back to one thing. It works fine as an independent system but as soon as you put PCs of Journeyman or higher on the boats it becomes absolutely meaningless. The two systems do not interact well as they are completely different. My opinion is that a lot of this could be alleviated if the ship combat system more closely resembled normal combat.

The other thing I was wondering about was is there any proposed changes to reduce the number of rolls needed to be made in combat in high circle play. I know it is sometimes annoying to some of my players when the Warriors turn in combat takes 30 mins. I realise some people like this aspect of the game. I was just wondering what the new team's opinion was.

Mr_Jigsaw

Postby Mr_Jigsaw » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Some things i noticed (over in germany):
Most gamers i met a) don´t know anything about ED or are b) totaly driven away from it because of the different editions.
I mean how many editions came out since 2001? 2nd, classic, revised, 3rd,d&d conversion...100th edition....i don´t know.
While this is not Fasa´s fault, i have to say that without clever marketing AND new game design this gameline will not stand up against games like Pathfinder or any current fantasy rpg out there.
This is the biggest problem imho. Just my point of view.

This game should get a complete new rule system and dice system.
Think this game should adress/aim to a whole new audience, too. The fans from the 90´s (like me) wouldn´t care that much, cause i think we´re here because of memories, nostalgia and the game´s background/history.
Otherwise....another edition for the old fans and another edition for the old fans in three years...wasted time.
Also, please get the best artists on board. Look how fantastic Pathfinder looks (not even to teenagers). ED had mostly recycled for the last decade. except for this terrible manga-artwork in 2nd edition. There´s so many talented people out there....

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Return to “Product Discussion”