Earthdawn Storyline, where is it going?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Trejes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Earthdawn Storyline, where is it going?

Postby Trejes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:20 pm

In EDR, if I understand it right, the storyline ist at a point after Prelude to War and Cara Fahd.
So Barsaive at War and Barsaive in Chaos are still to come.

What is planned in this direction? Will these books just be reprinted or will there be new books which will bring the story onwards in another way?

zayven

Re: Earthdawn Storyline, where is it going?

Postby zayven » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:59 pm

In the immortal words of John McClane: "Welcome to the party, pal." People have been gnashing their teeth over this for years now (check out the "ED Planned Products" topic on this forum for that endlessly fruitless trail of inquiry).

The short answer is that nobody knows and nobody at FASA Games has given any indication that anything other than reprints of old material updated to the latest edition is coming.

The long answer is...well, I just shouldn't start. I probably already have a reputation for being too wordy!

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Hiya,

The storyline is indeed at a point just after Prelude to War. At time of posting, there are no plans to advance the storyline any time prior to Gen Con 2014 (August 2014, if you need a month reference).

Take kaer, James

zayven

Postby zayven » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 pm

GenCon 2014? That would seem to be a reasonable timeframe to get all of the core rules for Revised Edition out in print, which would obviously have to happen before anything new could be released. This doesn't really answer the question of whether or not something new IS coming, though. It only assures us that we will NOT be seeing anything before then.

I hate to keep banging this drum, but it would be nice to finally get a simple "yes" or "no" on the new material issue. Hell, I'd settle for a "maybe" at this point; that would be better than total silence or "we'll announce 'something' at next GenCon" (because "something" could very well be the Terror in the Skies module updated for Revised Edition rather than something new). At least then I could convince myself that I'm not purchasing a minor rules revision wrapped up in the same flavor text and artwork just to help FASA Games finance new endeavors like 1879.

To be fair, the storyline thing is a bit of a strange issue because there aren't a lot of rpgs out there that are still doing the whole metaplot thing. Aside from Shadowrun, are there any thriving game lines that put a heavy emphasis on the ongoing events of the setting? It seemed like Cthulhutech tried to do so, but that game line failed miserably (although a series of difficult publisher situations could be at fault for the game's demise). I really can't think of any other examples, though. Metaplot driven games feel like a relic of the 90s at this point. Those were certainly some heady days, but I'm not sure that I miss them.

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 pm

Hiya,

I have a reply to this and another thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=901&p=7410#p7410

Take kaer, James

Trejes

Postby Trejes » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 am

Again, thanks for your answer. Your points mentioned in the other thread are very interesting and revealing. What a pity that there are no unlimited ressources available for my beloved ED. But I agree with your approuch. Better do it slow and steady than fast and potentially ruinous.

Return to “Product Discussion”