Poor-Attack-Test-Table

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
N-Pendzialek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Poor-Attack-Test-Table

Postby N-Pendzialek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Hello,

we play our ED group since the beginning of the game and always use the same Poor-Attack-Test-Table to determine what happens to a player when he rolls a poor success on an attack- or castingtest. Now after nearly 18 years we are looking to get an update and some new ideas for punishments, so if anyone has something in his mind or has knowledge of a good Misfortune-Table from another game i would love to hear it.

Greetings and thx in advance :twisted:

Nico

galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Poor-Attack-Test-Table

Postby galafrone » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 pm

You let them roll on a poor result ?
not just a fumble ? or a pathetic ?
i have done some tables for fumbles, rolled on 2d6 for melee weapons attack, missile weapons attack, unarmed attacks and spellcasting situations

if you are interested let me know

N-Pendzialek

Postby N-Pendzialek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Yeah, we still play 1st Edition and kinda got used to roll penalties for poor success in combat.
The lower the test result on an attacktest, the higher gets the dicestep to roll on the poor-attack-test-table.
Punishments go from 1 to 20 and get worse with raising numbers.
The step that gets rolled is the difference between the defense rating of the target and the result of the attacktest.

For example a melee weapons test against a Physical Defense of 16, result of the attacktest is a 5 and a poor attack. Means the GM rolls a step 11 to determine what happens to the attacker. From a lower number like 1 to 3 the attack misses, nothing happens. 4 to 6 means the player is hurried for the next round and gets a penalty of -2 to all action tests. High numbers like 15 to 17 lead to losing grip of the weapon the character is holding. 18 to 20 give the opponent an opening for a free attack made directly against the character.

I would love to take a look at those tables you made, sending you my email per pm

Thx

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:13 am

got the pm, will send you my tables asap

Muthare

Postby Muthare » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 am

I did some reenancement fighting and i must tell you- misfortunes dont happen, its less than 1 in a 100 chance.

Also what if a player uses a rope or a string attached to his weapon?

N-Pendzialek

Postby N-Pendzialek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Well i won't argue with you about the realistics of misfortune while fighting. On the other hand each talent used by an adept in earthdawn is filled with a little amount of discipline magic. In my understanding if you roll a poor success, you lose that magic slips from you for a second and then everything is possible. If a player would use a rope attached to his weapon he would have no problem in hurling back his blade into his hands in the next round, and therefore doesnt need risky maneuvers to get to his weapon back if it lands close to an enemy. So indeed that would be a nice gimmick.

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

If it's fun and something that you and your players enjoy as part of your Earthdawn game experience, then don't let reality get in the way of a good time! :)

N-Pendzialek

Postby N-Pendzialek » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:43 pm

After a couple hours of research and writing, i finished a new sheet. It's a free download on my homepage
http://nicopendzialek.de.tl/Earthdawn-_ ... -Table.htm
clicking on the image brings you to the download.

Greets Nico

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:30 am

nico you got my mail ?
i cant download your new sheet from work, can you send it via mail ?
if you didnt received mine, tell me something :)

N-Pendzialek

Postby N-Pendzialek » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Got your mail, i'll send it over.

Return to “For Game Masters”