ED3 optional talents training

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ED3 optional talents training

Postby galafrone » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:56 am

Hi all
i wanted to have some info on how you deal with optional talents.
i mean, you can train them during the circle advancement as stated by rules
but if you dont use that time period, how do you deal with that training ?
i can advance to say, first to second circle, not chosing the talent option at that point
then halfway to third, i can decide to pick up an optional talent and train it.

1) that training is possible ? (i mean training outside the circle advancement training period)
2) how many days it takes ?
3) can you learn that talent from another discipline teacher ? (i am a wizard, i would take speak languages. It's possible for a troubadour to teach it to me ?)
4) how much do they charge ? (i know this isnt really a question, since any gm can decide it basing on his campaign style, but wanted to know what you, other gms do with this issue)

thanks !

Panda

Re: ED3 optional talents training

Postby Panda » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:50 am

1) Yes
2) It is entirely up to the GM, but a week is generally the upper limit (up to the time required to advance in Circle).
3) Yes
4) The price should be related to the time required and the Circle of the teacher. A good rule of thumb is to divide the cost they would charge to train someone for a Circle by 5. That is your per day cost of that instructor. Multiply that by the number of days it will take (minimum one day in cost). As you note, it is entirely up to you for both time and cost, but that's somewhere to start.
Earthdawn Developer and I have a gaming , though, let's face it, it is really an Earthdawn blog which also happens to have some reviews.

galafrone

Re: ED3 optional talents training

Postby galafrone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:34 am

thanks panda
i will go as follow
1) i will admit training in optional talents outside the usual circle advancement and i will allow it from any instructor that has it
2) the time will be measured in days and will require a number of days equal to the circle at wich the instructor learned it divided by 3 (so talents 1-3 > 1 day, 4-6 > 2 days, up to 5 days for talent learned at 13-15 circle)
3) your option for the costs it's ok will adopt it

thanks !

Return to “For Game Masters”