astral sight (windling racial) and multiple disciplines

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
arma
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: astral sight (windling racial) and multiple disciplines

Postby arma » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:51 am

Yes.

Wrote the following while you were posting, keeping it here:

The bold part means: "You can just as well erase the racial ability from the sheet, it's become something else."

There is a Racial Ability, this ability gives you a talent.
Disciplines also give you talents.
You don't normally have the same talent twice.
Discipline rules take priority over racial rules.

When you get a talent as a Discipline Talent (and only when you actually get it, at the relevant Circle -- which is what the part before the bold said), the Discipline takes over, it gets priority. The talent you get from the Racial Ability becomes part of the Discipline, and no longer follows the Racial Ability rules (it is still there, but _in effect_ the racial ability becomes meaningless). It uses the Discipline rules from then on, not the racial rules.

(this would have been easier with the actual example, because much of the difference is whether the second Discipline gets it at Circle 1 or Circle 5+, as at Circle 5+, there's a cost difference)

Once your Thief becomes a Horror Stalker, the following happens:
He needs to learn all the First Circle Discipline talents that he does not know yet.
He already knows at least two of them that I know of: Karma Ritual and Astral Sight. These automatically become Discipline Talents, so your first Circle Horror Stalker already has Astral Sight 4 and probably Karma Ritual 5 (since your Thief needs to have it at 5 to become Circle 5).
The Thief may also know Melee Weapons, as that's a Thief Talent Option. If he does, this also now becomes a Discipline Talent, at whatever rank he has it at. Plus, he may learn an additional Thief Talent Option, as the "slot" of the Option is freed up.
The Thief will need to learn Call of Harrow and Steel Thought, though, as he can't learn these from his First Discipline.
Best kaer anywhere.

galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby galafrone » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 am

perfect, is totally clear.
thanks again and sorry for wasting your time Arma

Penagain

Postby Penagain » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:32 pm

It is NEVER a waste of time to ask Arma for answers. I, myself, have used him as a fortune telling device more times than I can readily count...

:)
I write stuff.

Return to “For Game Masters”