The Source of Undeath in ED

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Source of Undeath in ED

Postby galafrone » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:58 am

Is the source of any undeath originated from the "netherworlds" ?
Are the horrors the only creatures capable of creating undeath ? (i know that nethermancers can do it aswell, but i mean, they learned it from someone)
What is an undead spirit in terms of theory ? from where they come from ?
Can say, ghouls, exist without a horror creating them ? and the other horror constructs ? like Jehutras, black mantis etc ?

Avantio

Re: The Source of Undeath in ED

Postby Avantio » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:07 am

In my Barsavie (because I don't think there is official ruling to this extent) I assume that a region where astral space is contaminated (corrupt) can spontaneously spawn undead. How that happens can vary - usually I imagine the lower undead (like cadavermen) are just dead bodies powered by tainted magical energies while the higher undead like ghouls are actually corruptes spirits that take over bodies and change them to fit their twisted nature.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:46 pm

yeah thought about like that and i like your idea a lot
in this way, i can put undeads (spiritual ones or corporeal ones) linking them to the "original undeath" source of an area, that is it's corruption level

In this way "corruption" aka undeath is something that maybe even the source of horrors itself, or the byproduct of their "essence".

LADRILLON

Postby LADRILLON » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi:

Not quite sure about this but I believe some of the most "common" undead (black mantises, jehuthras, cadaver men - maybe), are minor horrors so "common" that they become just "undead".

L

Avantio

Postby Avantio » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 am

Not really - they are Horror constructs.

Lord of Badlands

Postby Lord of Badlands » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:13 am

Jehuthras aren't undead ;) (And Black Mantis' arn't even Horror Constructs, they're "ordinary" Creatures - I think.)

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 am

Jehuthra and Black Mantis are both Horror constructs.

Take kaer, James

Lord of Badlands

Postby Lord of Badlands » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:19 am

Oh, I confused Black Mantis' with Shadowmants. Head -> Wall.

*Nothing to see here, please go on*

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 am

Not a problemo! :)

The_Gun_Nut

Postby The_Gun_Nut » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:15 pm

The black mantis are based upon the inshalata (giant preying mantis). But some Horror thought it would be funny to improve upon what nature had already created.

Alter inshalata. Sic black mantis' upon a kaer of windlings. Hilarity ensues.
There is no overkill.

Only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

Return to “For Game Masters”