Places of Worship

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Endrek03
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Places of Worship

Postby Endrek03 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Hey all,
I'm curious if there would be places of worship built to all of the Passions. Like, one building, all Passions since people don't particularly worship one passion over the others.
If so, what are they generally like? Would they be suitable graveyards as well?

Nahor

Re: Places of Worship

Postby Nahor » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:49 pm

From what I've read, I've usually seen buildings/shrines devoted to a single passion mainly, but you could easily build a building devoted to multiple/all where each passion has a section and that section is then decorated per that passion's qualities.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:07 pm

probably prescourge they were more easy to find.
after the scourge, and 3 of the 12 going wild, i think the different cults went more "personal" in terms of places of worship

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm

I agree. I see the "classical" grecco-roman style of temple (various 'powers' have their own sections much like ) as very common, probably the most common method of gathering/worship in Barsaive.. but post-Scourge I see many of those places had serious problems. Until they figure out how to deal with the mad 3. You also see individual temples/dedicated spaces a lot in the setting material. (The "Fallen Temple of Rashamon/Raggok" placed on the map in Shattered Pattern, for example). Huge old decaying structures who's patron has gone mad, right near important places on the Serpent River.....

Cambodian Temple

Now, a dwarf cult of Upandil is going to make a much different structure than a t'skrang or ork cult's of the same Passion. Large populations centers are going to have Questors to all the Passions, and probably organizations of Questors (depending on race/culture) with structures to match. Small communities are going to have a few questors, but each may have a laity population to organize into building construction/maintenance (if occupying an existing building).

Tarliman

Postby Tarliman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 am

In the Serpent River (1E) writeup on Urupa, it's specified that Urupa's central triangle (not a central square) has three temples, one on each side. Each temple is dedicated to a specific Passion, with two other Passions sharing space in the building, one in each of two wings extending the main body of the temple. For the city of Fortetsa Hebo, I specified nine small temples around three sides of Temple Square, for the sane Passions, with the fourth side of the square being taken up with the Temple of T'Mor, the city/state's patron ancestral spirit. In Throal, there are olzims of the Passions, each of which would have their own meeting hall or other facility.
Andrew Ragland
Line Developer, 1879

Return to “For Game Masters”