Recruiting Possible Adepts Questions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LADRILLON
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Recruiting Possible Adepts Questions

Postby LADRILLON » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi:

What about recruiting & spotting possible Adepts in the Earthdawn setting? Do I take cues from Star Wars' jedis - "strange & unique individuals only please" (eg., "you're special, you can use the Force - you possess lotsa Force-compatible midichlorians; I want to train you"), or is it more like an Medieval/Renaissance artisan apprentice-teacher kinda way ("I want your oldest soon-to-be-born son to be my apprentice, 'cos I need to pass my knowledge"... ie., more mundane & common), or is a "spontaneous" initiation possible... Or... something in-between?

Thanks!
L

ukhata

Re: Recruiting Possible Adepts Questions

Postby ukhata » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:44 am

well, there is always the "it's your barsaive" idea here. but this is how my group plays it.

people feel pulled toward a certain discipline. also they have the will to become an adept. some do some don't. some do it later on in life, some never at all.
as such they either search a trainer, or get spotted by a trainer. for instance a street urchin might be spotted by a Thief and trained to the discipline.
on the other hand a troll might be pulled to the defending class of the Warrior instead of the raiding class of Skyraider. also the young man who saw his village murdered by a horror and was the sole survivor may spontaneously become a horror stalker even without a trainer.

so its more 1 or a combination of the following:
Mindset
Being found by a teacher
Finding a teacher
Natural ability
Cause/effect

many more options are always possible.

LADRILLON

Postby LADRILLON » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:18 am

Hiyas!

So, you're stating that, in your game, the pre-initiates seek the teachers? That's a cool way to spin it!

Thanks
L

Drucifer

Warning Spoilers for The Longing Ring

Postby Drucifer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:53 am

Tableau Infractus
Tableau Infractus

Fans are the life blood of any game system... Go get some new blood.

LADRILLON

Postby LADRILLON » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi:

I guess magic "works in mysterious ways" then...?

L

ukhata

Postby ukhata » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:56 am

as always. and in ED magic also behaves as the majority of the people think it should.
or at least that is insinuated.
Legend points is people believing in your might, greatness, heroic/devious actions etc etc.
also the Blood magic principle is thought to have been given power long after the ritual started as a wedding ceremony.

as such magic also behaves we think it should behave.

Return to “For Game Masters”