Astral Sensing

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Thane
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Astral Sensing

Postby Thane » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:07 am

Page 110-112

I'm a bit confused about Astral Sensing, specifically what to roll and what each one is capable of achieving. I know there are three ways of performing this feat, but as said, I'm not sure how to go about using each one.

Do you roll the applicable Astral Sight/Astral Sense Spell/Thread Sight against (6) plus corruption modifiers?

If so, what exactly does each one achieve? That seems to be the sticking point for me.

Would someone be so kinds as to summarise each one for me please?

Astral Sight Talent

Astral Sense Spell

Thread Sight

Thank you.

Telarus_KSC

Re: Astral Sensing

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 am

Sure, lets see if I can summarize this for you. I will actually take them in reverse order (Thread Sight, Astral Sense Spell, Astral Sight Talent) to show you how different they are. Btw, these three forms of astral sensing are on a continuum which ends with the Netherwalk Talent (building an astral body for your spirit to walk in while your physical body meditates), and then finally converting your physical form into an Astral body (see ED3 Gamemaster's Companion, p7 Namegivers In Astral Space).

Thread Sight
Range: Touch
Uses: Perceiving the patterns of Magical Items in order to Threadweave to them (and obtaining an item's next Test Knowledge with some risk attached, see below for errata). An ability shared by all Adepts which have Threadweaving (Circles 1+ for spellcasters, 4+ for the others). To quote the Threadweaving Talent, this allows "only enough vision to see threads and patterns." This ability projects the simplified image of a Magical Item's True Pattern into an Adepts mind. This happens automatically when attempting to weave a Thread to an Item (rolling against Item Spell Defense). No re-rolls for additional details. Cannot be used to sense the magical Patterns of creatures, Namegivers or other auras.

[This is, in Earthdawn metaphysics terms, because "Threaded Items are their own Pattern Items", i.e. you always have a physical piece of the Pattern right there in front of you.]

Due to this, you can also use Thread Sight to ask a True Pattern what it's next Test Knowledge is (a rank one might be "What is my Name?"). This is mentioned on p. 111 on the ED3 Player's Guide as possible, but not the section on Test Knowledge... errata? Yup.

[ Wow, I had to go back to the 1st edition Thread Sight Knack in Magic:AMOMS to clarify. Short form below. ATTN ED3r team!]

Thread Sight Rules (I would just fold it into the Threadweaving Rules Chapter)
The Adept must be touching the Item. For 3 strain, the adept may probe or connect a temporary thread to the True Pattern of a Magical Item (roll vs Item Spell Defense). The Adpet may then ask what type of knowledge the next Test Knowledge is (for this roll a Perception+Half Magic Test for spellcaster Adepts, raw Perception Test for all other Adepts VS the item's Spell Defense). Each attempt cost 1 additional strain, and only the very next rank may be learned regardless of success level achieved on the Result (stop at one success). This probing makes the Adept vulnerable to "magical traps or wards in the object's Pattern". Use the standard Trap Rules, but only allow the following to detect or avoid the trap: Detect Trap Talent, Disarm Magical Trap Talent, raw Perception (Perception+Half-Magic for spellcasters). Each roll to detect or avoid costs 1 strain.

[Suddenly, Item History is really worth it..... and hey, TRAPS YOU CAN'T SEE..... :twisted: :clap: ]

Astral Sense Spell
Range: 30 yards
Uses: Projects a more detailed image of a True Pattern into the caster's mind (the detail difference of an abstract line drawing and a masterwork painting). This can detect and study the astral imprints of Items, creatures, Namegivers, and other magical presences. Caster rolls Spellcating vs (6)+corruption modifier. Spell lasts 10+ minutes.

During this time he may roll an Effect Test each round for two purposes (these Effect Tests are Simple Actions):
1) Sense a Pattern. The caster senses and notes a Pattern or Astral presence with a Spell Defense under the Result, starting with the lowest Spell Defense. As the Adept can only sense one pattern at a time, they usually get their companions or any known magical patterns out of the way first.
2) Focus the spell on a target. Repeat an Effect Test against a target already sensed and noted to gain more detail or information on the Pattern. This requires an Average result for the first detail requested, and one result level higher for each additional detail.
Note: If the caster fails the Spellcasting roll but rolls above 6, they learn the failure was due to corruption from the side effects. If any of the Effect Tests fail, that target's Astral imprint is 'lost' and must be detected again. This may not be used to learn Test Knowledges. Patterns hidden by another magical Pattern may be detected with an Excellent Result or better vs Spell Defense (masked objected cannot be studied in detail).

Astral Sight Talent
Range: 10 x Rank Yards
Uses: "Looking" into Astral Space, studying Patterns and Threads for details.
For 1 strain the Adept may peer into Astral Space directly for Rank rounds. This is perhaps the best "astral sensing" method short of building yourself an Astral body (thus making yourself vulnerable to the effects of Astral Space).

The Adept sees the astral imprints of everything around themselves up to the maximum range by rolling against (6)+corruption modifiers. If the Adept fails this roll but rolls above 6, they learn the failure was due to corruption from the side effects. The Adpet can tell if imprints around him are mundane or magical and determine the classification of the astral space in this region. The adept may 'focus' his Astral Sight to learn details (rolling against target Spell Defense, starting with Average Result, requires +1 Result level for each additional test). These additional Tests do not cost Strain if used within the original duration. If the duration runs out, or any of these rolls fail, that target's Astral imprint is 'lost' and must be detected again (taking 1 strain to re-detect the imprint). This may not be used to learn Test Knowledges. Patterns hidden by another magical Pattern may be detected with an Excellent Result or better vs Spell Defense (masked objected cannot be studied in detail).

Ok! Hope that helps!
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:18 pm

thanks for the epic answer tela, it helped me too to clarify some points here and there.
i will print it and give it out to all my players, hoping they can use it for any kind of question they can come out with :P

Thane

Postby Thane » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:10 pm

That's awesome!

Thank you very much! :)

Thane

Postby Thane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:13 am

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:37 pm

I will come back to this. I promise.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

ukhata

Postby ukhata » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:11 am

remember, when using ANY of the astral sight/sensing talents, spells etc. you gain an astral presence.
meaning whatever lives in astral space that you can see, can see you as well.
this is always a nice thing to keep in mind for a GM :P

Thane

Postby Thane » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:05 am

That explains it

Thank you very much

Return to “For Game Masters”