Assuring Touch & Lionheart talent

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Crusader
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Assuring Touch & Lionheart talent

Postby Crusader » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:20 pm

So what intimidation powers does Lion Heart work against? We've seen fear in the form of terror, but I don't see any intimidation powers that Lion heart could work against, while Lion Heart's description does specify it.

Just raising the willpower rolls, but not doing anything beyond that against fear and intimidation rolls that do not allow resistance willpower rolls seems to make Lion Heart situational to the point of being of little use unless facing a few very specific powers (like terror), instead of being of much broader use against all things fear and intimidation. At this point I'd rather have resist taunt/iron will to prevent the whole thing altogether and have a much broader use.

Specifically speaking, I would like to see Lion heart being useful against things like Kiai, Battle Bellow, Battle Shout and the like.

galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby galafrone » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:48 pm

allowing LH to be used after having taunted for example ?
resist taunt is useful as "avoidance" of the taunt (or the other powers attacking the Social Defense)
but if the taunt/battlebellow/battleshout goes in (failed RT or just non existant) the LH should be compared against something to be effective

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Steely Stare is an "intimidation" talent that I would allow Lion Heart to work against.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Avantio

Postby Avantio » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 am

The major difference here is in when do you apply those talents (talking about lion heart and resist taunt). Resist taunt was streamlined along with other "avoidance" talents to provide one for each defense - avoid blow for physical defense, steel thought for spell defense and resist taunt is for social defense - this way you can avoid intimidation or persuasion attempts that target your social defense. Lion heart on the other hand is more of a boos in line of Willforce, Critical Strike etc; it provides a boost to your Willpower when attempting to break free of "fear" effects - regardless how they came to be - whenever magical or social in nature. One condition is that the magical power or social influence that caused you to be under effect of "fear" allows willpower rolls to break free. And as far as I know - most of them do.

Crusader

Postby Crusader » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:42 am

I'll try to make a list of fear/intimidation powers and which ones can be defended against with lion heart, resist taunt and steel thought from the core books.

One interesting find was that there's a spell that makes the Lion Heart talent completely obsolete: Spirits of Death's Sea. Looking at that spell makes me think THAT is how I want Lion Heart to work! Daaayum! That would solve everything.

Color code:
Lion Heart yes/no: LH / LH
Resist Taunt yes/no: RT / RT
Steel Thought yes/no: ST / ST

PG Talents/Skills
Battle Bellow LH RT ST
Battle Shout LH RT ST
Emotion Song (fear) LH RT ST
Fearsome Charge LH RT ST
Frighten LH RT ST
Frighten Animals (not applicable to PC's) LH RT ST
Steely Stare LH RT ST

PG Spells
Death's Head LH RT ST
Flesh Eater LH RT ST
Fog of Fear LH RT ST
Metal Scream LH RT ST
Mount Scare LH (by mounts, not characters) RT ST (by mount OR character)
Tears of the Scourge LH RT ST
Visions of Death LH RT ST
Visit Death LH RT ST

GMG Creature Powers
N/A

GMG Spirit Powers
N/A

GMG Dragon Powers
Fear LH RT ST

GMG Horror Powers
Terror LH RT ST

Oofje

Postby Oofje » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Oofje

Postby Oofje » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:48 am

ukhata

Postby ukhata » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 am

Oofje

Postby Oofje » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 am

And that's exactly the point we're discussing.

What i would like to know is: Does Lion Heart give you a resist roll against intinidation effects or not?

As the description of the Talent is unclear on whether or not it does, some (official) feedback would be nice :)

Return to “For Game Masters”