Drake question

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
willow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Drake question

Postby willow » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 am

The Drakes are adepts
Are they able to make gain a circle an adept?
(being master of an (non)player character of same discipline?

thank you
and sorry for my english

Anunnaki

Re: Drake question

Postby Anunnaki » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:34 am

Hi Willow,

If you mean "can they advance to higher Circles, like an adept" then sure. They are GM Characters, so there is no reason why the GM couldn't have a drake who was a different Circle than those in the rulebooks.

The same thing applies to other GM Characters. It really depends on what you want for your campaign.

For example, in my own campaign, the players encountered a Second Circle Thief early on. As the campaign progressed, that Thief -- when encountered again -- wasn't the same as they were expecting. As time passed, he had improved Talent Ranks, advanced Circle, and so on, in line with how much time had passed in the game.

Call it "living GM Characters" if you like. :)

As a GM, it's up to you to decide how you want to handle these sorts of things and what is right for your campaign.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards, James

ukhata

Postby ukhata » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:56 am

I think he was wondering if he can train a character (non player or player) to a higher circle.
ie, that drake of your annunaki, could he have trained a thief in your group to the next circle?

i think the answer would yes, since this question is purely about race.

willow

Postby willow » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:01 pm

yes, it is theretical (james, actually its me, sade :) just one pc user, and one tablet username), so back to the question, and the drake would be the campaign key figure (more or less).
my problem is pure race-ish, since the dragons are not adepts even if they use spells (i think its same mechanic more like the horrors than adepts), and they able to make a non-namegivers creatures (drakes), who can use adept magic.
its enough interesting question for making some encounter and adventure seeds from it.

the only thing what i hesitated its the circle thing. they have 'fix" Pattern (cant gain new circle, and cant have talent crisis, cant give their magic to other person..so they dont have the bad part, but the good part neither, or they have both.. )

my next question is all about the building master-student relation from the drake's point of view, getting close to his/her/it student..

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:32 pm

I know that Drakes can formally be initiated into a Discipline, Circle up, train others, etc. (ED3 Gamemaster's Guide, p252). So I would say they have the normal Master->Student relationship.

Dragon's can't (but they do naturally know spells of one of the spellcasting Disciplines). As such, they either send their Drakes out adventuring to pick up a Discipline and/or train up.. or they bargain for it (with Namegivers or Ghost Masters).

willow

Postby willow » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 am

any new info about drakes and dragons in ed3? should i read them? (i gming and play ed1, but all edition resting on my bookshelf)
when i gming and happen 1:1 master student, the master take responsibility for his/her student's action. could be interseting in drake..

ukhata

Postby ukhata » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 am

that responsibility is usually only DURING training.
once you are done with it, your master no longer should be held accountable for the students actions.
other then that, if you train often with the same person, a true relationship may turn up that may well be based of the student master template.
treat a drake with a real discipline as any normal namegiver in the regards of being a trainer.

willow

Postby willow » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 am

od course during the training, why are you writing in capital?
O_o
i have to tell 1: im not make downtime the training, 2: in my plan the npc will be under a drake's teaching, who make some problems.
(not to the drake but the the dragon)

the drakes are not normal namegivers, and never will be. so i cant and dont want to make "humans" from them. (like the dragons neither immortal humans, even if they able to look like that.. ) (and if i talk about drakes i talk about servant of powerful predators who loves the power and play the lesser races like they want, use them as puppets or dinner.)

but yeah.

thanks for the answers

Return to “For Game Masters”