Willforce

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Taarnish
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Willforce

Postby Taarnish » Thu May 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Willforce can be used to increase all Magical effects tests and resist magical effects.

When the term "magical effects" is used, does this mean any ability that attacks spell defence or is it any effect regardless of the defence it is targeting.

Also, can Willforce be used to resist the effect of Questor powers. Questor abilities are never refered to as magical and don't always attack spell defence which is why I ask.

Also, can Willforce be used to improove the effect of Questor abilities.

Thanks.
Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad.

arma

Re: Willforce

Postby arma » Thu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

In short:
You substitute your Willforce Step for your Willpower Step when resisting magical effects (you roll Willforce instead of Wilpower).
That means you can only do so when there's actually a Willpower Test.
Willpower Tests to resist are usually called out by the rules of an ability.

For example the Sleep spell (p. 179) calls for a Willpower Test to wake up.
You may use Willforce for this test.
But you cannot use it to prevent the spell in the first place. That's what Steel Thought is for.
Best kaer anywhere.

Taarnish

Postby Taarnish » Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 am

I guess what I'm asking is, are Questor powers classed as magical within Earthdawn or are they divine powers. They are never reffered to as magic and many have no effect test and so are beyond simple to resist by a character with Willforce. Cause pain for example seems easy to shrug off.

Unless I am reading it incorrectly.
Knowledge is understanding that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Fri May 04, 2012 7:48 am

I believe they are magical. Just magic granted by a passion rather than your own ability.

You would be able to use will force to resist any quester ability that could be resisted with willpower. Cant think of one of the top of my head.

That said I believe you could actually use will force to resist a non magical skill that was normally resisted with willpower. Possible some of the social skills would use that mechanic, but I cant think of any off the top of my head.

arma

Postby arma » Fri May 04, 2012 12:21 pm

I'd also classify them as magical.
(Sparing half a page of metaphysical explanation here, but in short: Adept magic, talents and spells and all, is also rooted in belief/philosophy. There's similarities between believing in the Way of Garlen or the Warrior's battlefield Path. They come from the same source.)
Best kaer anywhere.

ukhata

Postby ukhata » Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 am

this still leaves the question, can you use willforce on the strenght test of a crystal limb that uses willpower in stead of strentgh? :D

Return to “For Game Masters”