Favorite Earthdawn game moment?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gobbo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Favorite Earthdawn game moment?

Postby Gobbo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:33 pm

What is your favorite Earthdawn game moment?

I had a guy playing a Windling Elementalist who had found a belt that had many Iron loops around it. It also had one book on a chain attached to one loop. As he read the book he found it gave him information he wanted on horrors and where the other books that attached to the belt were hidden. When he attached the last book, it turned out that it freed the horror trapped in the book and possessed him. He became the horror. [I let him know ahead of time and made sure he was cool with it] The party flipped out and he killed one character and wounded 2 others very badly before they took him down and sundered the books to kill the horror. The campaign continued for another 9 months of weekly play before the group broke up.
‎"I went outside once... the graphics were ok but the gameplay sucked!"

evilgaz

Re: Favorite Earthdawn game moment?

Postby evilgaz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:19 am

An elementalist had taken an offer from a mysterious spirit when about to die - clearly from that moment he was Horror-marked. The game carried on for several months, and I fed more and more disturbing nightmares to the other player characters. Eventually one night in a dark cave in the Twilight Peaks, the others decided they had no recourse but to cut the elementalist's throat in his sleep. I had to tell the player that his character simply didn't wake up. It was a really profound moment that took ages to get to, and afterwards there was a good 2-3 minutes of silence. It was a properly hard decision everyone had come to and fitted perfectly with themes of the game.

Gobbo

Postby Gobbo » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Wow. I would have a hard time with that situation as a GM or a player...

Lord of Badlands

Postby Lord of Badlands » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Why is this topic in the ED SW Forum?

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Because I haven't moved it yet. ;)

Gobbo

Postby Gobbo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:04 am

Sorry, it was posted here because I am only really focused on the SW edition...

:P

Fading Clanger

Postby Fading Clanger » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Would have to be a game we played with my Theran Human Slave Elementalist / Mage. (This was when the games first come out all those years ago).

We were on a Theran Stone Sky Ship. The Theran Mage started to cause the Threads holding the ship together to unravel. Unravelling would be bad as we were high up in the nice clouds.

As our Troll Sky Raider, Tskrang Sword Mistress and Osidian Warrior fought off the Theran Slavers. I tried to use my Thread Weaving knowledge to stop the unravelling of the stone ship. The ref at the time gave a very high success number as it was Theran and all (in the 30's I think). So I went with it anyway (what had we to loose). I made the rolls (no cheating) and rolled a total of 2 under the target number, the best roll ever in our games :D.

The evil ref said as I did not make the target number I could keep the Stone Ship together for a few more minutes before it fell apart. I think he did not want us with a Theran Sky ship for some reason.

Now with the Savage World Edition out we plan to revisit the game :D

werefrog

Postby werefrog » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Favourite was the group is sitting a tavern in Travar. We are planning a trip to visit Mountainshadow to ask him a question. We were not summoned. The character of The Werefrog said, it's not like we could just take him a fruit basket.

It was then determined that we would deliver him a fruit basket from our employer. We, of course, were our employer.
Barsaive Emergent: , 1st Circle Elven Adept[quote author=griton]Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=ED_Chronicler]to quote Griton: Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=avantio][move]Werefrog FTW![/move][/quote]

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Cool, I posted this in an RPG.net thread, but it's rules agnostic.

The Kaer was collected from many sea-side villages south of Urupa (the coastal cliffs near the Thunder Mountains). Before the Scourge, the elders of all the villages decided to reject the Theran offers of the Rites of Protection and Passage, and align themselves with a very odd patron, a Leviathan who had taken an interest in the Namegivers near it's territory.

A location was chosen, and a sea-mount near the surface was raised via a Named Spell cast by the Leviathan into warm shallow waters. New methods for creating Waterbreathing blood charms (oddly cephalopodic face-things from ED 2nd Ed) were taught to the local Elementalists, allowing the communities to move their terraced agriculture further into the sea to feed the growing workforce. Your Kaer was grown rapidly from Coral and ref'slenka (elemental-water crystal reefs) over sand-stone pyramids and structures floated into place by hand. With many t'skrang communities along that section of coast joining the project once word of the Ancestor spread, this expert work turned the sea-mount into a cluster of bright, living tunnels, towers and domes. Large open "windows" were enchanted with True Air to serve as pressure portals to access the underwater growing fields in the flats between towers (which approached the surface to the depth of 20 ft).

A large barrier dome of True Water was erected around the citadel, tuned by the Leviathan to allow un-tainted sea creatures to freely pass (to ensure the biome wouldn't stagnate). The population was divided along 'caste' lines, and has been surviving well since the closing of the Kaer.

I had about 4-5 players and it lasted a handful of sessions. Memorable encounters were:

Fighting in the food fields with a corrupt Ork Beastmaster (underwater remember) who has been breading shadowmant-equivalent shark-rays.

Running into the Ork again as the party swam to the "outer reefs", a series of towers and natural and artificial reefs around the edge of the settlement which anchored the dome of True Water to the sea-mount.

Getting swarmed by angry scorpion-fish and eels (again the Ork) while the Ork's master (A re-skinned Horror... originally an "intelligent whirlwind" re skinned into a submerged maelstrom) pushed it's way through the dome of Water to attack the border outpost.

And a player's Beastmaster lizard leaping through the outpost's dome of Air (near the base of the tower) AT the Horror in order to grapple it underwater ("I grapple the Whirlpool with Clawshape! Karma!!"... she was bad-ass) while the party's caster and archer (the Kaer had developed a rubber equivalent used for tension-cast-spears a-la "diving spear-guns") peppered it as it repeated attacked the tower.

The campaign ended after the group got rewarded for that adventure but was one of the most memorable ED runs for that group.

Return to “For Game Masters”