Quick question on prop coins

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Darksyde
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Quick question on prop coins

Postby Darksyde » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:51 am

Dose anyone use prop coins for money?

If so -

What do you use?

I've been looking at Campaign coins recently and while they may be a bit spendy they do look rather neat so I'll probably get a few just to check them out. It got me wondering though if any one had, or is, using them in their ED game. From the goods and services section it would seem I could limit things to denominations of silver, maby some copper, and the gold trade bars.

http://www.campaigncoins.com/

There are some nice ones as well from Worldworks to be printed out but paper coins just don't seem like they'd be as much fun though they are much easier on the pocket book.

http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/in ... product=98

thezombiekat

Re: Quick question on prop coins

Postby thezombiekat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:38 am

they look pretty good several issues but most wont apply to everybody.

there is the fact that coins with denominations don’t quite fit the setting. EarthDawn money is not like modern money. its not even like the money of 200 years ago when we used a gold standard. a gold coin has value because it is made out of gold not because somebody (the government) promised they would give you gold for it if you asked (as with gold standard) or because everybody just agrees to play along (modern fiat money), it has value because it is a chunk of gold.

This means that a 10 gold coin must have 10 times as much gold as a single gold coin, and be 10 times heavier. A 1000 gold coin is ridiculous; you couldn’t pick it up with one hand. also my group tends to wind up with large volumes of cash (after killing the horror you find the kaer treasury, it contains 423 gold 7329 silver and 6215 copper. it’s bad enough making them work out how to move it, I don’t want over 10000 coins on the gaming table.

Considering the frequency with which my players deal in bulk goods (I would like to by 15 healing potions please) they carry a lot of wealth as elemental coins so I would need something for those.

if using the paper coins (possibly printed on card and glued to washers, I recommend the ones for ½ inch bolts) printing platinum coins on red, brown, blue and white paper could give elemental coins. you could pretend that your 50SP coin represents 50 individual coins your character is carrying, or just use coins for what the characters have in there purse, not what is in the saddle bags/cart/trolls backpack.

The reason I won’t be doing it however is this. I know my players. I know my housmates, and I know my friends kids. The coins will be lost, mixed up, thrown at people and eaten by small children. This is the way of the world.

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 pm

I can picture a troll kid and a dwarf behind him, "Why did you swallow that gold coin, well, we're gonna stay here until it comes out!"

Darksyde

Postby Darksyde » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm

I think I"d write that coin off. He can keep it, kinda like a backward cracker jack prize.

Using denominations would just keep my cost down if I actually used them though I can see your issues and think of a few others. To try and keep the needed pile down using denominations helps and since the book said that gold was generally only used on 1k silver purchases and the like I was going to use the trade bars as 100 or 1000 to 1 instead of strait 10 to 1 gold coinage.

Since there is now Platinum in ED but they have them I did consider them for the elemental coins.

I had not heard of putting paper on washers but it is a great idea, thanks!

I also ran across some little crystal tokens that might make for good kernels of true elements.

http://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice-s ... m-Counters

Flowswithdrek

Postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Our group used polished glass beads as gems for currency in our EarthDawn game, i think it fell by the wayside after the first gaming session. While its a nice touch it just got sidelined by putting your wealth on the character sheet.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:18 am

Flagg

Postby Flagg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 am

Looking for more Earthdawn stuff? Visit the !

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:15 am

Return to “For Game Masters”