Craft questions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Darksyde
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Craft questions

Postby Darksyde » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:47 am

I've been having a little trouble zeroing in on players making magical items. I know it's not an issue for a starting game but I know a few players that like to craft I want to get a jump on but I had a couple questions.

What sections in what books are most important?

Since you can't Forge Weapon a threaded item but it mentions weapons that have been forged being a good starting point dose the Forge Weapon bonus become permanentonce the weapon is turned into a magic/thread item?

galafrone

Re: Craft questions

Postby galafrone » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:28 am

it becomes permanent, but has to be made as 1st thread bonus in the newly enchanted magical (weapon).
it cant be made on subsequent threads.

EDChronicler

Re: Craft questions

Postby EDChronicler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 am

Player's Companion - Chapter 21: Enchanting (Pg. 153)
----- * This covers most of the aspects from a player's point of view.
----- * Page 154 covers the application of Forge Weapon being used to "provide much of the magical energy imbued" in the last paragraph under Creating or Obtaining the Materials.
----- * Page 155 has a section titled, Enchanting Modifiers, which covers the crafting modifiers to enchanting.

Gamemaster's Companion - Chapter Six : Creating Magical Treasures (Pg. 46)
----- * This part is primarily for GM's quick design of Thread Items, however, it can also be used to give you a better guideline than just looking at thread items for how to help your players create a more balanced Thread Item.
----- * The sectioned list on pg. 49 lists the forge weapon bonuses and as stated they are only applied to the first thread rank of Thread Weapons.

An attempt to help clarify some things: Forge Blade talent applications are usually the first part of most Thread Weapon magical processes and as such should be the first rank. Creating a "forged blade" effect anywhere else seems wrong in so many ways, the first being why would the blade suddenly show that it was forged at thread rank seven ? Plus, keeping it at the first rank just makes more sense. My recommendation is, if you don't want the "Forged Blade" application in the first rank because it doesn't fit your item's story, then look into other effects and simulate the bonus in another rank in that manner, such as, +3 steps to blade damage due to infusing the blade with True Elemental Earth, or +3 Steps fire damage for 1 strain after imbuing True Elemental Fire or using a Sixth Circle Elementalist Fireweave spell to imbue the sword with said ability. Or if you are using a wooden sword, using the Wizard Spell Iron Hand to imbue a +3 step bonus. There are so many possibilities with how to find alternatives if you need the first rank for some other "concept" purpose.

EDC

Return to “For Game Masters”