shaman spell learning procedures

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

shaman spell learning procedures

Postby galafrone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:50 am

How can a shaman learn a new spell without the help of a mentor / instructor ?
i have some ideas, wanted to understand better the "create fetish" talent anyway
- commune with spirits (but this is only from 3rd level onward)
- the circle advancement rituals for circles 2-4 points to the creations of "new fetishes" implying that the shaman can do it by himself.
does he "invents" the spells by himself ?

thanks

arma

Re: shaman spell learning procedures

Postby arma » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:10 pm

It's supposed to be like:
observe natural phenomena, try to get an understanding of what happened, get a flash of insight / epiphany, learn it intuitively from that.
Best kaer anywhere.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 pm

so the "natural phenomena" has to be related with the spell he wants to acquire.
will work out something, luckyly my shaman player is a creative one :)

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Bargaining with spirits for that "key piece of the Spell Pattern" might also be very appropriate. So a fetish for a spell which summons a school of piranha-like fish might require dealing with the local river or fish spirits. Once an "agreement" is made, then the shaman has the details necessary to create the fetish.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Sorry for reviving old thread but I don't want to start new one for simple question: Is shaman allowed to use spell matrix objects?
Duvvelsheyss

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:12 pm

I hadn't really given the question any thought...

My gut says, since they don't actually use spell matrices, they can't use sell matrix objects. However, that's kind of... unfair?

Maybe somebody will have a better answer, or a way to make it work. My brain is a bit fried, going over the final touches on the Player's Guide.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:16 pm

If I recall correctly, they had a knack to create Fetish objects aside from the ones they would have access to normally from their Discipline. For all intents and purposes, it worked exactly the same as the Create Matrix Object knack, except it was a Fetish instead.

So, assuming my memory is correct, no, they cannot use matrix objects. But they can use fetish objects, which work the same.

Spader

Postby Spader » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:27 pm

Technically, there is absolutly nothing in any 3e books that talks about spellfetish objects. But as Mataxes says, it is quite unfair.

So I don't see why there couldn't be something that works exactly like spellmatrix object but for shamans.

But one condition I would suggest (because this is how I work with my shaman player) is that the spell to be attune, hence the fetish, should be able to be attached to the spellfetish object.

Return to “For Game Masters”