Air Dance questions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
galafrone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Air Dance questions

Postby galafrone » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 pm

first one

1) you dont have to target specific targets for air dance, you just use it and then, after you decide your target you can compare both the results and if you got an excellent result against your melee target you can do another free attack

is this right ?

2) your attack comes after the target has taken his turn or after you have done the first attack ?

it says "the adept can make an additional close combat attack against his opponent, following that character's turn"
the CHARACTER is the target of the excellent result in air dance vs initiative or is the player air dancing ?

3) so, the follow up attack can only go against the target of the first attack, not mattering the exact answer for the point n.2

4) in case of a warrior with air dance, momentum and second attack, if he goes against a target that he defeated with an excellent result in the comparation between initiatives the order is:

4a - attack
4b - eventual momentum attack (if a good result is obtained in the first "main attack")
4c - second attack (on any possible target around him, not necessarily the primary target)
4d - follow up "air danced" attack against the target of the comparation

is this right ? where it comes the opponent attack ?
after 4c or after 4d ?

thanks

EDITED: lack of closing parenthesis on 4a and 4b points
Last edited by galafrone on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Air Dance questions

Postby Mataxes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 pm

1) Yes.
2) After the target has had their turn, per the last line of the talent description on page 59.
3) That is correct, your free close combat attack must be against the same target as your primary (standard action) attack.
4) You are correct on the potential attacks the Warrior could make. The main opponent gets their turn between 4c and 4d.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 am

thanks Mataxes.
also, when you consider "available" the Airdance in terms of proximity between you and your target ?
rephrasing it, if you are at for example at 30 yards of distance from the nearest enemy, you can use Airdance ?
i would say yes, but i am not fully convinced of my interpretation of the talent
i know i could use Tiger Spring no matter what i am going to do that round or the distance from the closest enemy, but i dont know for sure about air dance

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 am

If you use the Movement by Initiative optional rule (Player's Guide, p216) or a variant... you can simple subtract the # of hexes moved from the Air Dance result. If this is still an Excellent Result, then you can still make the bonus attack test. Tiger Spring serves as a flat bonus to the Init Result (or Step), so you can use both if you have them.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:28 am

At my table, you can use Air Dance whenever you wish (it is mainly an initiative talent) and can be boosted with Tiger Spring (it adds to Initiative, which Air Dance is replacing). However, in order to get the benefit of the free attack, you would need to be close enough to reach your target within your standard move (aka combat move) -- because otherwise you're spending your standard action on the extra move, not on an attack.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 am

thanks to both.
what i was wondering if, for example, a human caster takes airdance via versatility, he can just use it (as it could do with tiger spring) to boost his initiative position not mattering the fact he is going to loose the chances to get the unarmed combat opportunity.
That is, airdance doesnt need an "engaged" status to be used, just 1 strain and the free room around to do the dance
(this is because i remembered the old nethermancer spirit grip discussion about casters having low dex and so low ini count etc etc.. )

arma

Postby arma » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Well, it says "in combat", you can limit it to that.
(It's not supposed to be used in situations that are very off of that, for example when making Initiative to avoid traps)
Best kaer anywhere.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:57 am

perfect arma, this is where we went last night
about trap initiative
so, basically, air dance is limited to a "combat" situation, while during a "disarm trap" initiative situation what i can use (talent wise) is just
- trap initiative
and eventually
- tiger spring if i have it

about the trap initiative round, i have another question.
want me to put in a different thread for the forum organization ? or i can go here ?

arma

Postby arma » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 am

Well I probably won't need to find it again, so I don't care that much where you ask it. ;)
Best kaer anywhere.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:56 am

lol ok
:) i repeat anyway the sequence above, i would love to have a confirmation or a correction if it's wrong

1) during a "disarm trap" initiative situation what i can use (talent wise) is just
- trap initiative
and eventually
- tiger spring if i have it

2) the main effect of the disarm trap talent is to give you an head start against the effects of the traps, right ?
Otherwise wich difference exists between a character with disarm trap and one without, if both beat the trap initiative ?
say i have a 7 step ini value, + 4 steps TI ranks and my fellow has a 7 step ini value + 4 steps tiger springs
wich effect we have if both rolling the 11 step initiative against the trap get a better result against the trap value ?
the DI character has already done half movement when he can start his actual movement, while the other has only a normal move ?
or is something else i cant find ?

Return to “For Game Masters”