To mini or not to mini

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Darksyde
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

To mini or not to mini

Postby Darksyde » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 am

I have been trying to get up the gumption to start up an ED game for a while and was wondering how many people bust out hexes and how many leave it open and abstract. Do you prefer a hex map and figures or no?

I grabbed a roll of gaming paper if I decide to go with hexes so I've got plenty.

Also, how best do you find to keep track of actions? Seems like I need a little note pad for every combat round to jot down declarations.

Telarus_KSC

Re: To mini or not to mini

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 am

I like the Hex grid, but I'm using a virtual tabletop for face-to-face play. As for declaration, at most I ask for Physical, Spell, or Social action, and then any used Combat Options. You really don't need any more detail than that (the player can describe & narrate on their turn), because most people skip the "declare in reverse Init Test order, then act" portion that makes reacting to declared intent worth it.
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

arma

Postby arma » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 am

Best kaer anywhere.

ukhata

Postby ukhata » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:35 am

We use the mini's whenever we will have a large scale battle where keeping track of range and locations is of importance.
also we use the map and mini's when we fight in enclosed spaces where it matters, like buildings, caves etc.

for the "random encounter" its usually not used.
as for init declarations the GM's do use a pen and paper for writing down the inits rolled and the damage sustained by the mobs.
the turn delcarations are usually "i clobber it!" or "i ice mace and chain it!" etc. :)
somtimes even as far as "I KIEL IET!" which then may or may not succeed :P

soo we enjoy the use of it, just in the random encounters, less important or small scale battles its usually a bit cumbersome.

crzydevil

Postby crzydevil » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 am

I am a big fan of the magnetic dry erase board. Initiatives get tallied down the side, and combat happens in the middle of the board. I'm breaking out the hex grid for some upcoming battles, but this usually serves all my purposes. Small battles, rough area maps, item drawings, etc. go really quickly like this.

Declarations I try to keep verbal. The only thing I really use a pencil for are damage sustained, recovery tests/Karma used.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:18 am

I don’t usually bother with mins. They are good sometimes but there never big enough to account for archers and I often like to start encounters at long ranges if the terrain is open.

werefrog

Postby werefrog » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 am

The Werefrog use the Hex grid, and only stop to place the figures.

However, the players keep the figures on the board in the order when we are approaching combat, so the only stop in action is to place enemies for surprise attack. Otherwise, if they know an enemy is there, it's on the board visible as well.
Barsaive Emergent: , 1st Circle Elven Adept[quote author=griton]Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=ED_Chronicler]to quote Griton: Werefrog FTW![/quote][quote author=avantio][move]Werefrog FTW![/move][/quote]

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:44 pm

I had a similar experience as zombiecat. I've never used minis. When I've played with people who did use them the map size seems to dictate the kind of range and mobility of the characters. I like to have a sketchy map and run missile ranges and movement a little fuzzy.

The online game we've got going is going to use maptools, but I haven't had enough experience to report. I know some people use it in face-to-face games.

Flagg

Postby Flagg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

I spent about 2 decades gaming without using maps/minis, and I never felt the need for them. Now that I've started using them, I kind of like it, especially in a game like Earthdawn where so much of the combat mechanics is tied to range, movement, and opponent placement. I suppose I also like the physical aspect of it. It's tactile and I like that. It's the same reason I still use real dice instead of a dice roller, and real paper character sheets.

I have a wet-erase hex map, and a pack of colored markers, so I can draw out the battle area pretty quickly, and I think it helps the players visualize what's going on. I've never been into buying/painting minis, so I just have a big jar of decorative glass beads in assorted colors. In combats with a lot of opponents, I'll write a number on them with a wet erase marker to keep track of who is who. It wipes right off.
Looking for more Earthdawn stuff? Visit the !

Darksyde

Postby Darksyde » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:37 am

Thank you all for your in put. I have found it most helpful.

Return to “For Game Masters”