firing into water

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Anunnaki
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: firing into water

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:28 am

So, for arrows, it's probably a combined damage reduction/hit modifier situation?

Maybe keep it simple, something like:

Depth: Effect
Shallow (Up to 1 yard): No modifier
Medium: (Up to 2 yards): -2 Damage Step; +2 Cover modifier
Deep: (Up to 4 yards): -4 Damage Step; +4 Cover modifier
Really Deep (>4 yards): Can't be hit

Regards, James

The_Gun_Nut
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby The_Gun_Nut » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:19 pm

It has to do with surface area of the impact. The larger the surface area, the more energy is transferred to the intercepting medium. A broadhead tipped arrow will penetrate more than a target (blunt) arrowhead, or a bullet.

The bullets that have conical shapes, and thus a smaller impact cross-section, tend to be supersonic, and thus break up more on impact.

EDIT: I'd have it penetrate deeper based upon the original range of the bow in question. Say, a number of feet equal to the short range of the weapon in hexes?
There is no overkill.

Only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

Flagg

Postby Flagg » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 pm

I think this calls for a test! Who has a swimming pool, a bow, and a death wish?
Looking for more Earthdawn stuff? Visit the !

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:57 pm

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:19 am

slayride
Site Admin

Postby slayride » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:26 am

Generally when my Player Characters were fighting in water in melee they received a -3 penalty to Attack and Damage Tests (This situation actually came up in the Prelude to War quest to raise one of the sunken airships in the river and they came under attack by water elementals summoned by a Theran Elementalist). Same situations with bows firing into the water against a submerged target.

crzydevil

Postby crzydevil » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:37 am

There are about 20 things to take into consideration here. One thing that I didn't see mentioned is that most arrows meant to be fired into, or through, water (such as fishing arrows) don't have any fletching. This is because fletching causes arrows to turn in the water. This of course isn't really an issue unless the target is more than a couple of yards under the surface. You can make this as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Personally, I'd decide on the exact parameters and come up with a simple, but attainable, modifier. I think Slayride has it. Short and sweet.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:43 pm

ragbasti

Postby ragbasti » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:11 am

also the GM could just rule that at some point the opponent is just safe from the attack.
But up to that point the -3 seems fine to me - nice and simple and enough to make it noticable.

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Simple is better.

There are always going to be situations which aren't covered by rules, so keeping the game continuity rolling along is important.

I use the "Rule of Two" in my own games: simply, add/subtract 2 to/from the Difficulty Number and/or add/subtract 2 to/from the Effect Test result, as required.

This is applied on-the-fly as I adjudicate results. As the GM, I know what the DNs are and I record the results of Effect Tests (Damage Tests, and so on), therefore it's easy to keep things rolling along without getting hung up on lengthy conversations about types of missiles and penetration capabilities (similar thing applies to the other thread about cooperative actions, btw).

"Did that arrow hit the guy underwater? Yeah, you think so. Make a Damage Test just in case. You think there's blood in the water, but it's hard to tell with all the chaos going on around you and the poor lighting. How badly hurt do you think your opponent is? Want to spend a round making a Perception Test? No? OK."

Return to “For Game Masters”