weaponsmiths - craft armor

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
arma
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: weaponsmiths - craft armor

Postby arma » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 pm

The book has it as "potential adepts". It includes people who could be adepts, but never found "their" Discipline, etc..
Best kaer anywhere.

The_Gun_Nut
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby The_Gun_Nut » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 pm

You have to consider that an economy has sprung up around adepts and magic what-nots. That couldn't exist without it being at least somewhat commong. Well, at least not uncommon.
There is no overkill.

Only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 am

Yeah, I imagine large city streets almost like the opening scene of Romeo and Juliet , with bands of "Capulet" and "Montague" style armsmen roving around... which are comprised of 1-3 adepts + 4-12 "hangers on" .... because hey, a 2nd Circle Adept is a good person to have watching your back, especially if there are 5+ adepts in the 100 person tavern brawl.

thezombiekat

Postby thezombiekat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:11 am

I never got the impression that adepts where other than common. Heroes are not.

maybe 1 in 20 people is an adept but most are not heroes. Between military adepts, private guard adepts (including guarding locations and caravans) merchants who are adepts. Air sailors, trubedoors, weaponsmiths who use there powers as a stable occupation rather than adventuring, spell casters focused on enchantment and research actual adventurers are going to be more like 1 in 10000 of general population, and of those the vast majority are low circle.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 pm

That's funny, I always expected adepts to be quite rare. But after reading this, I've got to come down on the side of adepts being more common. At least Novices.

The_Gun_Nut

Postby The_Gun_Nut » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

The local culture does help influence the percentage of adept vs. mundane/half-magic. In Throal, adepts are probably in the 1 in 20 range, just like in most other major cities. In the back woods, it's probably smaller than that. In specific locations or cultures (Blood Wood, windling enclaves, obsidimen liferocks, crystal raiders trollmoots) the portion of the population that are adepts is likely much, much higher.

Also, many of the important personalities at the reins of power tend to be higher Circle adepts due to the necessities of the post. The general in charge of the behemoth Triumph is a 10th Circle Warrior adept, the shivalahala of Vistrimon is a 10th Circle Elementalist, the clan chiefs of the crystal raiders all hover around 8th Circle Sky Raiders, etc.
There is no overkill.

Only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

Return to “For Game Masters”