weaponsmiths - craft armor

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
kosmit

Re: weaponsmiths - craft armor

Postby kosmit » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Duvvelsheyss

Meat Puzzle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Meat Puzzle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 pm

I thought it ended up being something like 1 in a 100 or maybe even 1 in a 1000 actually became adepts. Remember the less rare the heroes are the harder it is to be unique, epic and just all around KEWL. :)

ragbasti
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ragbasti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:03 am

i always used 1 in 1000 to become an adept following a discipline - that leaves enough adepts imo to interact with them during campaign but still leaves the characters in a special position

arma

Postby arma » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:12 am

I've been using a bit above 5% magic users, but that included questors and "half-magic adepts". Probably 2-3% adepts.
Best kaer anywhere.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 am

Ilkith Fandor, human Weaponsmith & Troubadour, is quoted in the Players guide (by Master Merrox) as saying that 1 in 20 healthy Namegivers have "what it takes" to step onto the Adept's Way, but that far fewer stay on the path.

"Teaching can take time, but initiation is swift." -Ilkith Fandor

The numbers curve pretty steeply, too (going by the LP requirements for Circle advancement). So Initiates/Novices/Journeyman are much, much more common than Wardens/Masters.

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 am

all these informations are gold.
thanks a lot from the italian ED community :)

ragbasti

Postby ragbasti » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am

wow, my earthdawn campaign just gained thousands of adepts, going from 1 per mille to 3 percent :P

The_Gun_Nut

Postby The_Gun_Nut » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:15 pm

The "1 in 20" comes from the book The Adept's Way, which is also reprinted, in part, in the PG and the PC. The speaker estimates that only "1 in 20" have both the talent and the opportunity to become true adepts and not just half-magic adepts. While this is just speculation on the fictional speakers part, the speaker in question is human Troubador/Weaponsmith. Both of those Disciplines specialize in aquiring and sharing knowledge (one general, one practical).

For my money, while it is only an opinion, it is a good one to start from. Also, not every culture has the "1 in 20" limit built in. The crystal raiders have a LARGE percentage of adepts in their ranks: every drakkar holds about 30 crew, and each member of the crew is an adept (usually Sky Raider), and each major trollmoot has about 10 drakkars it can field. That accounts for a scary number of adepts.
There is no overkill.

Only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

galafrone

Postby galafrone » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:24 pm

we can even think (following thegun) that the magic opportunities will arise where they are most necessary or where the magic was more used before scourge or where simply put, there is more need of adept.

anyway, starting from the 1on20 i will "tailor" my numbers toward arma's ones, with some right modifications when it's necessary (for example, another place where the adepts will more concentrated is surely kratas...)

Meat Puzzle

Postby Meat Puzzle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Wow. I gotta say 1 in 20 seems almost common to me. I'm rather surprised by that but I guess if that is what the book says it's works. I'll have to think if I want that many adepts running around.

Return to “For Game Masters”