(Adanyan's Revenge) Players surrendered, what to do

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Telarus_KSC
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: (Adanyan's Revenge) Players surrendered, what to do

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:06 am

Have you brought up the Passions yet? Bring them right up to the point of execution, and suddenly have all the elves bowstrings snap at the same time as they draw the execution arrows, and the hidden Ork Questor to Locost Passion of Freedom jump out and cut them loose... :D
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pixel01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Pixel01 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:23 am

You're right! It's a great opportunity to introduce both Locost and Raggok actually.

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Or the elves may just be a bit less murder-happy than the town guard.

...you might also have to have NPCs stop asking them to surrender, since apparently, they will. I can totally understand why you weren't prepared for that. I've never heard of PCs so willing to turn themselves in. Honestly, I admire your players - they really seem to be rejecting the "murder hobo" model, and that's pretty impressive. If you can, I would really try to work with that; see if you can play up the roughness of the world around them, and... maybe offer opportunities in which them not just up-and-killing people might turn out to be a good thing.

For instance, more Elves could show up here, and the three that captured them could explain what happened, and the other elves might see it as you did: A group of Adepts declined to attack a group of non-Adepts that they probably could have beaten. Elves do have a tendency to take a longer view of things - they could be impressed by that, untie the PCs, and tell them a little about the world, maybe offer them some food and part on friendly terms.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Also, give the players a chance to talk the Elves out of killing them and into letting them go. Play up the interaction tests with the Elves being Neutral and a bonus to trying to make them friendly or something. The players are being open and honest, peaceful and friendly. Like Utsukushi said, that should earn some respect.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:46 am

In my game kaer's logo resembles "clubs" from cards and city's that of a pokeball because of the shapes...
Duvvelsheyss

Pixel01

Postby Pixel01 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:10 am

I fear that letting them talk their way out is an impossibility in this case as at least the leader is part of the oppressors. What I have planned though is for them to be carted off instead of executed for their unviolent approach, should they not stage an escape by themselves first.

The driver of that wagon, though an elf, feels something is fishy and sends them off to find Titoo

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:28 am

I'm pleased to announce that my Kaer-based PC's had the opposite situation.

They went through the Brithan, and triggered the Raider Ambush. They recovered quickly, and trounced all the raiders, causing the leader to flee. Only one raider was killed, so the rest became prisoners, and are being brought o the nearby town for justice.

Of course, the leader has already reached town...

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:16 pm

Duvvelsheyss

Pixel01

Postby Pixel01 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:40 am

Here's how it played out:

The other half of the team surrendered too and despite protests at arrow point got tied like the rest.
The leader then started to question them in a kind of superior way, using leading questions to pump them for information. The newest member of the group was happy to answer truthfully, after which the leader decided to inform the group, that although he would be breaking protocol he'd let them live but send them to the settlement for further questioning.

Then I acted out a scene between the leader and a guard. The guard wanted them dead for killing the Brithan (death by portcullis) but the leader told him off and sent him to get the wagon.
Hours pass on the clammy forest floor without the adepts try to make a break for it. Finally a group of outriders protecting a wagon driving by what looked like an Elven peasant emerged from fog.
The two leaders exchanged greetings and stories again in sperithiel which only a single member of the adepts knows. They let it drop about this being the second group in a short while and again surprise about the lack of resistance from this group compared to the last. Adepts got hooded and thrown in the paddy wagon.
Due to not knowing whether there were guards with them in the wagon the adepts again did not make a go at it, so I stuffed a fellow prisoner in there with them to prod their pride a bit. Finally they tried but the dice were against them, so they goated the Orkish thief into doing it by pushing his gahad buttons. Breaking his bonds coincided perfectly with a scorcher tribe making an attack on the caravan.
The adepts tumbled about within the wagon while screaming for release and accusing the Ork to be in league with the attackers as the driver made a break for it.
The situation was finally dire enough for the adepts to get their act together, kick out the door and crawl to the driver seat of the out of control wagon, where they found the panicked elven driver.
They forced him to stop without murdering him and actually bribe him to forget about them. As a sign of graditude he refered them to Titoo in the city.

That way they got more pieces of the puzzle which would help them understand what's going on.

Thank you again for all your suggestions!

Return to “For Game Masters”