Do Talent Bonuses Stack?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anoush
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Do Talent Bonuses Stack?

Postby Anoush » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:26 pm

The general question is: If a PC has two different talents that can be used in the same round (e.g., both are Simple talents) that provide a bonus to the same ability, defense, what-have-you, do the bonuses stack, that is, do they add together to provide an even bigger bonus? Or does just the higher bonus of the two apply?

The specific case I'm facing is: I have a player -- with a first circle Warrior PC -- who's now learned both Maneuver and Acrobatic Defense. Both these talents provide a PD bonus to the user, and both are Simple talents, so any number can be used in a single round. Maneuver only gives a bonus to a single opponent, while Acrobatic Defense gives the bonus vs. all close opponents.

Can a character use both these talents in the same round? Do the PD bonuses gained stack? That is, if they get a +2 from each talent, do they now have +4 vs. the opponent chosen with Maneuver?

etherial

Re: Do Talent Bonuses Stack?

Postby etherial » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Yes, that's quite kosher. Some people run with a "Rule of 3" that only allows 3 bonuses to any one thing, but I find it's not necessary. Your First Circle Warrior will find taking 2 Strain per turn problematic when he runs out of hit points.

Anoush

Re: Do Talent Bonuses Stack?

Postby Anoush » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks. I hadn't realized the strain cost would be that much of a deterrent. But I get it now.

Return to “For Game Masters”