Medieval Barsaive?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Jaracove
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Medieval Barsaive?

Postby Jaracove » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:25 am

It's been a long time since I delved into ED and especially ED's setting of Barsaive.

Does Barsaive's setting have castles, kings, queens, knights etc? Does it have a feudal system?

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Medieval Barsaive?

Postby etherial » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:18 am

Jaracove

Postby Jaracove » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:36 am

Thank you for the response Etherial

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:44 am

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:10 am

The other thing that complicates a traditional feudal hierarchy is that anyone, regardless of social standing, might develop the ability to become a powerful adept.

Drall

Postby Drall » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:42 pm

I posted this in the Arancia thread, but Knights are mentioned briefly in the Montebanc section of Makers of Legend: Wanderer's Way for Earthdawn 2nd edition.

Jaracove

Postby Jaracove » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:01 pm

I think a feudal society with all its status levels and pecking orders would enrich the Barsaive setting even more, and it doesn't have to be all over the setting either.

Take Harnmaster/Harn for example, in the kingdom of Kaldor and other similar societies it's all about feudalism and as a result it throws up some interesting situation when it comes to social interactions. Everyone has their place and more importantly, everyone knows their place.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:17 am

Now that I think about it, Syrtis has a pretty strict caste system. And Throal has pretty serious social stratification.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:22 am

Yeah, there are plenty of examples to be found if you look. They just aren't dressed up with the "tagged" language people expect. I suspect that was a deliberate choice on the part of the original development team (and I'm happy to continue it).

Another example, by the way, is in the Blood Wood book where it refers to Caimbueul as a senior member of the "Knights of the Crimson Spire". There are also "Knights of the Thistle," an elite faction of the exolashers. The setup of the ranelles and so forth are semi-feudal in nature.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Drall

Postby Drall » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:51 pm

Ah I forgot about the Sereathan Knights, was there just one order (Crimson Spire) mentioned in the books?

Return to “For Game Masters”