Earthdawn with the Dark Sun setting

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pixel01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Earthdawn with the Dark Sun setting

Postby Pixel01 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:49 pm

I have always liked the Dark Sun setting and converted it from its original ruleset to others a few times.

I wonder if anyone actually have thrown a group into the world of Dark Sun and how it went.
How would or did you handle the concepts on Defiling and Preserving as well as race modifiers?

My current idea is simply to take a group from Barsaive and have them do some adventuring in an environment very similar to Athas (rescue some villagers from a group of Gith or Halflings or something), but instead of psychic powers it's "just" magic that gives most beings their abilities.
Also a trip across the Silt Sea with a giant assault.

Anyways, I'm interested in thoughts and insights that could help me use the ED system for the Dark Sun setting.

Thank you in advance

Telarus_KSC

Re: Earthdawn with the Dark Sun setting

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:20 pm

I've been having lots of fun mashing up Greyhawk and Earthdawn. I've always loved the Darksun setting, but never got a chance to play it it much.

oD&D -> Earthdawn conversions are a REALLY GOOD IDEA (in my opinion).

Pixel01

Re: Earthdawn with the Dark Sun setting

Postby Pixel01 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:56 am

How would you go about converting the easiest way? Any hints at doing this or even links to people who have done this would be highly appreciated.

I have only mused upon it slightly so far.
For race modifiers I have been thinking to either directly transfer them over OR doubling up. The latter would make Half-giants on par with Obsidimen at least physically. Elves would be rather fragile beings though.

My thoughts on defiling so far have been for the art to potentially cause wounds to beings close to the caster or mimic the effect of wounds. This could either be done by making a (Circle of spell) x2 step test versus the wound threshold of any living creature within the effected radius the round the spell is completed OR simply subjecting the creature close by to a penalty equal to Circle of Spell during Thread Weaving (spells with no thread requirement apply their penalty one round only).
Using Defiling magic could either offer the same benefits as using a Spell Matrix or consider the astral pollution to be one degree safer.

As for materials Namegivers of Barsaive offer a lot of good information on that front.

Return to “For Game Masters”