Were Brithans and Shadowmants weaker before?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pixel01
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Were Brithans and Shadowmants weaker before?

Postby Pixel01 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:45 am

I am getting ready to run Ardanyan's Revenge (bought the ED3 book) using ED4 and was comparing the statistics of the creatures of the rulebook and adventure. It seems that so far that the Shadowmants and the Brithan were either significant weaker in previous editions or have been toned down in other to not splatter the newborn legends.

I was wondering which it is, so I would know whether I can use them as written in the rulebook or I would need to reduce their power level by half-ish?

Slimcreeper

Re: Were Brithans and Shadowmants weaker before?

Postby Slimcreeper » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:17 am

I'm interested in this question also! Is there a general power creep with the increased karma usage, or were some creature's power levels altered to fill some gaps in opposition, or am I crazy?

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Yes. Both the brithan and shadowmant are tougher than they were in prior editions. Before, they were considered "Circle 2" challenge, but are now both "Circle 5"

The stats for them in Ardanyan's Revenge are the same as the stats given in the ED3 GM Guide, which are mostly similar to the stats from ED1.

There was an effort made with the creatures in ED4 to spread the creatures across a broader array of challenge levels, trying to fill in the gaps in mid-range fauna that existed before. This means many of the more unusual or magical animals that were Novice-level challenges before are upper Novice or lower Journeyman. Mundane animals have been spread out a bit as well, so they aren't all C1 or C2 challenges.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:22 am

Another thanks from someone who is prepping their PCs to leave Karr Ardanyan soon.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:06 pm

I like the idea of juvenile vs adult Brithans and Shadowmants. :D

Both animals could have different social structures in the different phases of life. Often juvinile rays will school, but adults only school in large numbers at certain times of the year.

Dougansf

Postby Dougansf » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:15 pm

I ended up making a midway point between the two, but using all the special maneuvers from 4E to keep it consistent.

Return to “For Game Masters”