What does a citadel look like?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pimpa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What does a citadel look like?

Postby Pimpa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 am

So what does a citadel look like? I remember reading somewhere that it's supposed to be a city/town with a dome above it. But are there any illustrations of citadels? My impression is that in official materials the emphasis is on kaers. What's the reason for this?

Telarus_KSC

Re: What does a citadel look like?

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:14 am

Kratas is a fallen Citadel. Wyrmwood/Bloodwood is another. I'd hazard that the more common Kaers are due to the more common sources of True Earth in and around Barsaive. It would take large amounts of True Air or Water to form a Citadel along with as much Orichalcum as the Kaer would. The larger T'skrang settlements were Citadel, if I remember correctly. I ran a seawater Citadel for a while. Everyone who worked the kelp fields had aqua-breath blood charms. Rogue Beastermasters lurked on the outer reefs. It was pretty cool.

Kot

Postby Kot » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 am

Check out some of the colour artwork. There was at least two featuring aztec-style pyramids as citadels. I don't know exactly where, because I've seen them in the Polish rulebooks, and we had a lot of changes made...
Mariusz 'Kot' Butrykowski
"The only way to keep them in line is to bury them in a row..."

Pimpa

Postby Pimpa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 am

Yeah, you're right, I remember the Aztec-style pyramid citadel!

ManDrake

Postby ManDrake » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Basically do a image search on the term Futuristic Domed City, those concept designs basically are mirrors of what you would see in Earthdawn Citadels. And then everywhere you see steal substitute elemental Earth, Wood and/or Orichalcum, and everywhere you see glass, substitute elemental air and water. Probably the reason the focus is on Kaers is because they were many times more likely to survive compared to the Domed Cities. Because they had the added protection of stealth, so not every Horror for thousands of miles could see them to come take a crack at them.

Return to “For Game Masters”