First Adventure Ideas and Help

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Endrek03
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First Adventure Ideas and Help

Postby Endrek03 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm

Hey all,

So I've been crafting this idea for a week or so now, and it's finally time to bring it to the boards to get the pro's help. :)

If all things go well, in a few weeks I'll be beginning a new Earthdawn campaign with all new people who, probably, have never heard of or touched Earthdawn before. For this reason, the initial adventure needs to be spot on to introduce them to the world, the terrors, and their roles in it. I think I've got a good outline for one that works, but ... Let's see if it works as a whole.

So, regardless of the Disciplines the players choose, their initial masters (I'll be rolling 1d4+3 to determine what Circle each of their initial mentors are.) will be sending them off to a village that has lost contact with the outside world. Be it a Swordsman who is sent to prove himself, or a Weaponsmith who sends his new apprentice because his old one picked up the Forge there and hasn't been heard from since, the reasons for being sent there by their mentors at Circle 1 can (and should) be lovingly crafted to be of some importance to them. But that will happen when they make characters later.

Until then, each one will arrive at the village within hours of the others. They are all sent separately but will arrive around the same time to an abandoned, and partially burnt, village. And yes, a theme I would like to dabble with is the Name of the village and how it brought together this coming adventuring group.

After they meet up (and hopefully have some good intro RP), they begin investigating what happened to this place. Now, here's where I need all the help I can get.

First, I plan on introducing an NPC to the group who I will tell the other players it's a PC but that player can't attend this adventure; however he gave me huge amounts of notes on his character and wants me to play him. This is for a few reasons. One, this NPC is the cause of the villages destruction. Introducing an NPC during such an adventure will surely cast some suspicious looks from players, but under the guise of another PC who can't attend the session, they will treat him appropriately like another player involved in the adventure. When the twist comes that he is the antagonist ... Hopefully it will be more interesting. Second, I really want to build up the ideas or Horrors and such... But in the end, this devastation was wrought by not a Horror... But by a Questor for a mad passion. Now which... I need help with.

Vestriel became the mad passion of lies and deceit. It would make perfect sense that the cause of the destruction would lie about being an ally just to revel in his lies a few hours longer before taking on the heroes. However, I don't believe Vestriel would ruinate a village.

Raggok, however, would. He would love to have a village destroyed and play with undead and eerie themes. But the flip side of the coin is it wouldn't make sense for a Questor of Raggok to lie in his identity just to enjoy the heroes coming across his disturbing work.

... So ... Which Mad Passion makes more sense to use? Why?

Next, what would be great for investigations? What has worked for you? What hasn't? What makes an Earthdawn investigation unique? I plan to make my Earthdawn world more Lovecraftian, more dark and eerie so the Horrors can really shine when they come into play (heh, making it dark so bad guys can shine.) I'd love this adventure to highlight dark and morbid experiences, but be a puzzle for them to work out while exploring the world of Earthdawn.

What would the players come across? What is common knowledge? What are great enemies to use to boost investigation while showing them what this world is capable of?

I hope this all made sense. This may be a rather long post but I did write it in a hurry before heading out. I would love any questions if I didn't make something clear enough, but most importantly would love to hear ideas and scenes that would play well for this.

Thank you. :)

Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: First Adventure Ideas and Help

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:50 pm

I would go 1d4+4 for the Master's circle. While it isn't spelled out in the two core books released thus far, an adept needs to be 5th Circle or greater in order to initiate somebody into their Discipline (this was mentioned in a couple of places in earlier editions, but I can't recall offhand where).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Endrek03

Postby Endrek03 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Awesome first adventure ideas.

I have used "Ghost Masters" to allow a very young elf to "self"-initiate into Beastmaster. The hook was then she had to track down her spirit-mentor's Pattern Items before she could see him again, so it was off to find other Beastmasters to study from.

Back to the scenario, look for lower circle creatures that you could use as interlude or foreshadowing encounters to the main theme. For example, have a flock of Blood Ravens looming in a tree above a corpse, who then follow the party member who investigated the corpse at a distance... until the party gets to the town and they notice the blood ravens have perched in a tree and will not fly closer to the town than that. They will follow the marked person if he leaves the town.

You can totally make up the reason for this weird behavior to fit your story. "Blood Ravens are weird things that can see into astral space....", so drop that hint via a Lore(Creatures, etc, etc) skill or a handy NPC and just watch the player's heads spin trying to figure out the strange behavior.

Also, try to nail down the motivation of the questor of Vestrial, even if it's multiple conflicting things. This will help you sketch out other events for the session. Make a few "Bang!" type events that do not depend on the sequence of the plot but may alter it depending on when/how it is resolved. Something like "The only sane person left in the village is hiding in a crawl-space under the largest building. If he sees any party member that 'seems' sane away from the tainted NPC, he will try to contact them.", or "One of the strange effects that Vestrial cursed this area with was unpredictable weather. Intended to drive the locals insane, this effect only covers a 6 mile radius around the village. Roll 1d8 each day: 1- Snow, 2- Drought-type Heat, 3- Heavy Mist, 4- Light drizzles and rainbows, 5- Clear sky and dust devils, 6- Completely overcast with no rain, 7- Heavy Rain and Lightening, 8- Tornado and Ball Lightening". This type of stuff is related to your central theme, but not too directly. It will crank up that feeling of weirdness and horror.

(Aside: One of the worst adventures I played through as a player was where a Crystal Entity horror had taken over a village shrine and over the course of weeks had convinced all the villagers to start eating each other. We came across the village after dusk and were quickly ushered into the headsman's hut, so couldn't see the carnage or what exactly was cooking over the central fire. ***shiver*** Still remember that one quite vividly due to the atmosphere described by the GM.)

Also, give the villain some lackeys that the PCs can encounter/investigate/defeat first. For the investigation aspects, I really recommend this blog:
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/111 ... -clue-rule
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/379 ... de-mystery

He's also got lots of advice on fantasy-role-playing scenario design, hex-crawling, etc, etc. Lots of good stuff:
http://thealexandrian.net/gamemastery-101

Good Luck with the game!

Endrek03

Postby Endrek03 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Telarus, everything you wrote is brilliant. Thank you. :)

On that note though, that's why I'm not trying to run this as a MYSTERY... But more an atmospheric event by event. Each event will help unfold the world a little bit, and certainly let the players know what I'm bringing to the table as a GM.

Your blood Raven idea is amazing, and I'll definitely be researching them to make the most of it. But yes, I definitely don't want it to be a mystery. The questor will merely be following them to admire them being confused and disgusted at his handy work, and I think a first adventure "PC" betrayal will drive home why people do greeting rituals, and how hard it is to come across people you can trust. By that same token, yes there will be incentive for the good guys to stick together, I'm not that DM. :P

So far I plan to have a Forge event, so that they understand how a Forge is center to community. The blood Ravens will certainly help with astral plane notions, or allow them to strike up conversations about it with me or in character. What else would serve as an Earthdawn landmark? I can do the events on my own, that's fine ... But I need to make sure I'm getting the culture and world down right before I introduce it to others.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Self-initiating is a thing. It can happen with some Disciplines (like Beastmaster) more often than others (I don't see a Wizard self-initiating, for instance).

It is generally considered pretty rare. The old ED1 "Legends of Barsaive" had a legend about a Beastmaster that self-initiated. Even a self-made adept is likely to need a mentor or tutor early on, though.
Josh Harrison --

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:27 pm

Josh Harrison --

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:12 am

How many players will you have? (this will help with the upper scale of threats)

This thread would also be helpful while going through the GM Guide looking at creature encounters: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1689

Some of the really "Earthdawn" iconic-encounters in the first 4 circles would be:
1st - Strawman (Falsemen), Blood Ravens, Krilworm, Kue, & Greater Termites
2nd - Bog Gobs (!!!), Huttawa, Troajin, Zoak, Waxman (Falsemen), Ghouls*(nasty, watch out for the poison - i.e. give your players something ahead of time to deal with the first encounter with poison-types)
3rd - Chakta Birds, Harpy, Cadavermen*(read this carefully, the first time a players "sets off" a Cadaverman can be a very memorable Earthdawn experience), Scurrier
4th - Crackbill, Molgrim, Ogre, Will o' the Wisp, Gnasher, Kreescra

Use the upper Circle stuff sparingly, especially as some of those are low circle Horrors. You see some "standard fantasy creatures" in that list, and I encourage you to read the creature entry to see how they take a unique spin in Earthdawn. Also, the Spirit chapter can let you come up with pretty much any "weird/other" creature you care to.

Return to “For Game Masters”