calendar conversion

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
wbush3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

calendar conversion

Postby wbush3 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Is there a formula for converting the year of the Throalic calendar to the year of the Theran calendar? Its been hurting my brain trying to work it out. :?
"Heroes are inherently stupid, thus legends are born." Doctor Doom

Telarus_KSC

Re: calendar conversion

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:41 pm

It's a little complicated. Let me focus on the Throalic Calendar.
1 TH = The (old) Kindgom of Throal is founded. Also, the first stones are laid at the site that is to become the Eternal Library of Thera.

443 TH = The first Battle of Sky Point. Thera declares itself the Theran Empire. The Theran calendar begins from this date.

900 TH = Construction begins on the Halls of Throal (to weather the Scourge).

So, basically, 443 Throalic = 1 Theran.

They don't list the Theran dates in the 4e GM Guide, so this document may help (as it lines the dates up in columns):
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... meline.doc
Last edited by Telarus_KSC on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbush3

Postby wbush3 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Thank you Telarus_KSC. I need to figure out what year it would be on the Theran Calendar, if it was the year 658 on the Throalic Calendar. I am writing an adventure, and that date is part of a mystery for the PCs to figure out. Any ideas of what that year would be?
"Heroes are inherently stupid, thus legends are born." Doctor Doom

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:58 pm

Yes, it is a strange math question, because there is no Year 0 in either calendar.

So, to do the math, we just have to assume there is (for now).

The great part is that only effects the range on our number line where one or the other value is in the zero-or-negative space.

443 TH = 1 TE is the pivot for one of these shifts. The other is where TH flips to negative.

441 TH = -1 (actually -2 TE)
442 TH = 0 (actually -1 TE)
443 TH = 1 TE
444 TH = 2 TE
etc.

So, since your year is greater than 442 TH it easy to convert.

658 Throalic = 658-442 = 216 Theran Calendar

If your Theran year is less than 1, or your Throalic year is less then 443, conversion becomes a bit more involved.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Yeah, I was looking for that one...

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:20 pm

It's lurking somewhere on my hard drive. It was taken offline when I migrated web hosts and I haven't bothered to put it back up (too many other projects demanding my time).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue May 03, 2016 10:08 am

Duvvelsheyss

Return to “For Game Masters”