Suggestions for a magical disguise

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Suggestions for a magical disguise

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:24 pm

So I'm thinking of an adventure with a 5th Circle NPC Troubadour undercover as a non-adept in the same traveling group as a 5th Circle Wizard. It's just occurred to me that the wizard would probably Astral Sight everyone eventually, just in the course of being a wizard. What are some ways the Troubadour could conceal his nature from the wizard? Other than just hand-waving it.

Baravakar

Re: Suggestions for a magical disguise

Postby Baravakar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Without going back and re-reading stuff, I think Baravakar has it right.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:46 pm

The troubadour is passing as a non-adept, so he needs an illusion of a simple Pattern. Some wizard spells seem to do it - power mask and wizard's cloak. Disguise self specifically says that it only affects appearance. I think it is a bit of a grey area, if only because part of me wants it to trick the wizard. And because it makes the talent mega cool, unlike the stipulation that it can't create t'skrang tails.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Fusilliban

Postby Fusilliban » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:05 am

Power Mask is Illusionist 5/Wizard 5 option and is the "you don't even know I'm an Adept" power. That's pretty much the main thing here, and Troubadour 5 doesn't usually have that, unless they're a dirty human thief.

There's some golden rule here, 'cause it's your game and you can do what you like, but pretending not to be an Adept is actually pretty hard in ED. OTOH, if your Troubadour was able to do this with a special thread item, then if that thread item ends up in the hands of your PCs later, that could result in fun shenanigans...

Return to “For Game Masters”