Animal Bond

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Animal Bond

Postby Baravakar » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:28 pm

Slimcreeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:08 am

I don't love 'keep rolling until you succeed' situations. I have them roll once. The amount by which they missed is the number of times tries it takes to succeed. So if you need to roll a 32 to get the right number of successes, and you roll a 16, then it would take 16 tries (16 days in this case) to get it. The player has committed to the time - the character doesn't know. You can even do blind dice rolls so the player doesn't know either. So if the character has to leave on day 15 to attend the mayor's wedding and doesn't tend to the animal, the time is lost and the character has to start over. I figure there are only 2 reasons to roll: to find out if the character fails and doesn't succeed, or to find out how long it takes to succeed.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:46 am

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:56 pm

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:13 pm

On day 6, did you know that day 7 would be the day the bond was successful? In Slim's example, day 16 was the day the bond would be complete, but on day 15 the Beastmaster had to leave. On day 15, he didn't know if day 16 would have been enough, or if it was day 26.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:30 pm

I don't disagree with you. I just thought you were misunderstanding that part of what Slimcreeper wrote. Whether that was true or not, you clearly do now.

Though I will say that lots of rolls don't appeal to me.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:56 pm

Well, the only realistic method is to procure a live cat every time you use Animal Bond. But don't roll the cat. That won't work at all.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”