Couple Questions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
EDChronicler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Couple Questions

Postby EDChronicler » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:58 pm

I remember Ventriloquist (Talent or Skill or maybe even Knack) being somewhere in one of the books, but can't seem to find it. It was also recommended to check in spells, but I didn't find it there either. This is for an Illusionist, so if its not an Illusion spell it doesn't really help.

I'm also trying to calculate how long it would take an illusionist to go from 1st to 5th circle as a rough timeframe in game. I'm looking at about 3-6 years. But just want to see if it "should" be longer. I'm not figuring a "game style" grind with adventures everyday. Hence my uncertainty and I haven't figured the actual cost in Legend for my stopping point. Just trying to see if I can get a consensus on this idea.

Thanks,
Gray

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Couple Questions

Postby Mataxes » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:45 pm

Quick answer on the first part (since I have the books right to hand).

I checked the ED1 Core book, Companion, Magic, and Arcane Mysteries books. There is not a talent available to Illusionists, Illusionist spell, or talent knack that I could find in those books called "Ventriloquist" or "Ventriloquism". I also checked the indexes for the ED Classic Player's Compendium, and the ED3 Player's Guide and Player's Companion. Those all have pretty good indexes, and there is no "Ventriloquist" or "Ventriloquism" entry in the index. Which means not a talent, talent knack, skill, or spell.

So... it doesn't even look like something that was in a previous edition that was cut at some point (given my survey of the relevant materials).

As far as the second item... that would take some number crunching that I don't have time for right now. My gut says it's seems to be realistic, but the reality would depend on your starting assumptions.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:59 pm

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:06 am

1 Circle per year? Oh Passions! My players are on Circles 6/5 within 1,5 year. But the things they did... Legends!
Duvvelsheyss

Gkeckley

Postby Gkeckley » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 am

How long it takes is a gaming style preference. Things I take into consideration are how often you actually game versus how often you want the party to actually have an adventure. I once ran a campaign to 9th circle that took roughly 3 to 4 years game time and about 3 years real time. Averaging about 3 adventures per circle until they hit 4th circle then the average was more like 6 adventures per circle. So about 40 adventures over that time frame which amounts to about 1 adventure every month or so.
I later ran a campaign from 1st thru 12th that I fast tracked because we gamed a lot less.That was over 9 year time frame in game with a 5 year gap where they were all dead and brought back from death's realm so in all 4 years game time. Roughly 1 1/2 to 2 years real time. With roughly 30 adventures(like I said extremely fast tracked).
There are also campaigns that never go beyond 5th that take several years of game time.
It just depends on preference. In the end more than 1 adventure a month in my opinion is a bit excessive due to training times, finding mentors, research of magic items and or pattern items, and general role playing that often takes place outside a particular adventure. I also tend to fast track the experience compared to other GMs I have talked to but that is due to the fact that real life gets in the way and we cannot game as much as we used to. But that is just my preference. Find what you are comfortable with and run with it.

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:40 am

Its definitely not Unseen voices. But thanks, I did come across that, I just want one person's voice heard in a different direction. I'll just reference it as a skill for now.

And obviously I wasn't clear in my second item. The character is about 15 at 1st Circle, I'm trying not to make her 30 by 5th Circle. But she's not going to be grinding adventures like we would through gaming. I.E. she's more NPC than PC. So I'm trying to figure her age progression as a rough estimate.
So would it be unreasonable to go with 6 years. Or should I estimate more time. And mentor hunting is not going to be a problem.

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:33 am

Scott Drebus

Postby Scott Drebus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:35 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:19 pm

For an NP (or mostly NP) C, rather than looking at a "it would take X number of adventures" plan, I would approach it this way:

8 talents advanced to Rank 5 from Rank 0: 15,200 Legend.

5 years = 1,825 days

This means the character would need to "earn": 15,200 / 1825 = 8.329 legend per day. Round up to 10/day to make a nice round number.

This doesn't, to me, seem too crazy an idea in terms of NPC "advancement". I mean, it does require viewing Legend Points as an abstract system for pacing character advancement rather than an actual "thing" in the setting. (My thoughts on this are well documented.) The Earthdawn Downtime System I've mentioned elsewhere gave a 5 Legend/day stipend for downtime (based on some calculations that I don't recall offhand and don't have the time to go digging through my archives to find).

So... I think going from C1 to C5 in about 5 years is reasonable. Anything more for a non-adventurer is probably pushing it.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

EDChronicler

Postby EDChronicler » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:25 am

Thanks Josh, that gives me a solution I can use.

Return to “For Game Masters”