Forge Weapon / Dispel Magic

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Forge Weapon / Dispel Magic

Postby Baravakar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Shuntyr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Shuntyr » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Fantastic question
I believe that a wizard who successfully senses that an object is magical could try and use the dispel talent against that object. I would have the dispel talent act more like a suppression against forge weapon/armour then a permanent dispel. I would say something like 1-2 rounds per talent rank + extra time per success would be how long the dispel lasts. Anything that requires a ritual would fall into this category in my opinion.
As written the talent should allow a complete dispel of the forge weapon…but I feel that If a wizard wanted to permanently remove the bonus on a sword that has been forged, I would require a bit more study (in a non- combat setting) I would argue that the ritual of enchanting the sword requires more than just a quick dispel.
I would not allow a weaponsmith to use his steel thought to cover his items, friends or anything around him from a dispel If a wizard is targeting his sword, the sword must save. But maybe this could be a talent knack for a weapon smith in a future product :P

#Horrors-are-jerks

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Just to remind it as it changed in Ed4. PG p.81 "Add the character’s Circle to the Attribute Step to determine
the Step used for the Half-Magic test."

As Dispel Magic Talent doesnt target MD of target so no Steel Thought can be used.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:40 pm

You do realize that the definitions of "recognize" you listed above have no time frame attached to them, right? They can extend from the sudden realization of something to slow understanding that comes through thoughtful study. Both things fall under the definition of recognize.

Take art as an example. One may instantly recognize a piece as a van Gogh. Through careful examination they are then able to recognize it as a high quality forgery of a van Gogh.

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:53 pm

I would allow this, and I would use it to mark an NPC as a jackass, one the PCs would be extremely motivated to thwart. I would probably only use it once - it would be the hallmark of a particularly loathsome rival. A horror might do something like this. There might even be a horror that loves the taste of a Name-giver's anguish when a material good is destroyed.

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:54 am

If I would play as a Wizard I would definitely do this to NPCs :D
Duvvelsheyss

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:51 am

Return to “For Game Masters”