Forge Weapon / Dispel Magic

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Forge Weapon / Dispel Magic

Postby Baravakar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:11 pm

I am just curious....

Has it ever come up in a game where Forge Weapon was removed with Dispel Magic?

As far as I can tell, it would work perfectly fine. It would make things very scary when the horror does this to the hero trying to kill it.

A successful Astral Sight test will reveal that the weapon is under a magical effect. Could be a spell, a talent or a thread item.
Attempting to dispel a thread weapon (permanent powers) will not be successful.
Forge Weapon Talent lasts a year and a day.
Dispel Magic stops any ongoing magical effect resulting from a spell or talent.

"oh Snap, it took you a week to do that. Gee, it took me six seconds to stop it"

kosmit

Re: Forge Weapon / Dispel Magic

Postby kosmit » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Never happened to me but this is... scary!

But I think I would allow that. Dispel Magic is a powerful thing.
Duvvelsheyss

Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tattered Rags » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:17 pm

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 pm

Can someone explain to me why creature and horror powers cannot be dispelled?
Duvvelsheyss

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Mainly to scale back somewhat on the impact Dispel Magic has in the game.

Also to open up potential space for knacks that allow expanded use (since it is now a talent).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:32 pm

kosmit

Postby kosmit » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:32 am

Duvvelsheyss

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:42 am

That's one possibility. Horror Powers might be targetable by a Nethermancer knack for Dispel Magic (since they get access to it).

This is just spitballing, and doesn't necessarily reflect what will show up in the Companion.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:10 pm

There is no defense against Dispel Magic. The test is made against the difficulty number of the magic effect and has no bearing on the person who is under the influence it.

I don't feel this is fair. I think that Steel Thought should be allowed to nullify the nullify.

A weaponsmith has a heavily forged weapon by his own hand and in his own hand. The evil wizard decides to ruin his day and remove the Forge Weapon bonus. Since the weapon is being held by someone with Steel Thought the weaponsmith may use it to prevent the dispel magic from working. The difficulty number would be the test result for the dispel.

Or maybe this can be a talent knack too.

Return to “For Game Masters”