[ED3] Magic items

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Mizaiziel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[ED3] Magic items

Postby Mizaiziel » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:15 am

Hello,

I'm having problems understanding the difference and the rules of the different magic items, thread, minor, major, etc.

A thread weapon can be forged? A forged items can be threaded? How a mundane weapon awaken? As exemple of question I have. I'm really lost in this matter.

I appreciate if someone can helpme.

Thx in advance.

etherial
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [ED3] Magic items

Postby etherial » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:40 am

Mizaiziel

Postby Mizaiziel » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:04 am

Okey, now i think I'm getting it.

Let's see, a common magic items is something someone imbued with magic, crafted.

A pattern item is an object that someone used and became part of his history (of the person who used it).

Forge blade are simply items that someone used magic to enhanced them.

My doubt here is, how a pattern item has his own history? I mean you can do history with an object, but how an object can have their own history? In the manuals talks about genesis, i think thats the word is used, like something to "awaken" an item.

Thanks for being so fast answering and sorry for my bad english.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:56 pm

An object's history are the legends surrounding its creation and great deeds. So a bow is used to kill a Horror and defend a village. Later it is used to save a king from bandits. Soon a new owner uses it to kill the same king who had become a tyrant. These actions are the bow's story.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:52 pm

The underlining idea in Earthdawn is that a magic item has its own story to tell. By learning the history of the item the character can then use more of the item's power.

Common magic do not have much of a history to them. Anyone who obtains one can use it. They were enchanted by someone. The tend to have minor effects. Earthdawn is a very magical world. People use magic the way we use technology. Need a light-source? Buy a torch or an enchanted light crystal (flashlight) . Need a fire? Buy flint and steel or a magical Fire Starter (zippo lighter)

Pattern items are objects that can be used to exploit a person, place or thing thru thread weaving. You find the evil necromancer's hat (pattern item). You can learn what it is and weave a thread to boost yourself when fighting that necromancer. A pattern item does not have it's own history, but is a link to the history of the thing it came from. In the example, by studying the hat, you have to learn the history of the necromancer it belongs to.

The final type of magic items are thread (and legendary) items. These have a history. When one is discovered a person must learn the history of the item and use thread weaving to access the items powers. Thread items are usually created on purpose. Someone intentionally enchanted them. Legendary items are created when a significant event occurs which changes the very nature of the object and empowers it.

Learning the history of these items creates a story-line for the campaign. You find a magic sword. What is it? What does it do? Inquiring minds want to know. The GM makes up these facts and designs a story where the players can learn them. When they are learned the powers of the magic sword can be accessed. As more facts are learned, more powers can be used.

Mizaiziel

Postby Mizaiziel » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Thx all of you, that helpme a lot I think I understand it now ^^

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:31 am

One important thing that I don't think has been mentioned is Names ("True Names"). Of the above items, the last category (threaded and legendary items) have True Names, and as a result have a much more complex astral imprint and Pattern. For more information on this, see the text on Names in the Magic Chapter.

Mizaiziel

Postby Mizaiziel » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:24 am

Let's say an example, I'm actually a player not a GM just wanted to understand better all this matter:

I play a Obsidiman Warrior and his weapon is a Stonemaul.

I'm playing with him and his weapon at the moment is a usual Stonemaul. Let's say after a figth with my goup I deliver the last hit and kill an Horror, in that moment I Name my weapon. It's an important event, there is a lot magic involved because of the use of talents and the interaction with the Horror, then it's possible that my weapon became a True Pattern item (at GM choice).

Second exemple, I go to a Elementalist and ask him for make my weapon a thread weapon, I pay he makes it.

And similar to the second one if I go to a Weaponsmith to forge my weapon.

Last example, because of the use and importance of the weapon for my character it becomes a patter item for me.

It can be a patter item and a thread item at the same time? If a thread item made by an elementalist became a a True named one, what happens? If my weapon is forged and later it became a Thread or True named one? I'm sure I'm missing some points.

Sorry for being that insistent, is a really nice feature of this world and I would like to understand it properly.

etherial

Postby etherial » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:23 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”