NPC Stat Blocks - How much detail?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How crunchy for stat blocks?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Full write-ups ready to pick up and play on a moment's notice.
28%
Discipline, Circle, and Attributes. Suggestions for other stuff.
28%
Relative power (Novice, Journeyman, etc) and call out most notable attributes.
33%
Other (please describe in comments)!
11%

Total votes: 18

Mataxes
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

NPC Stat Blocks - How much detail?

Postby Mataxes » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Question for you, in the form of a poll.

When it comes to notable NPCs provided with a setting book, how detailed do you like your stat blocks?

In addition to voting in the poll, feel free to add additional thoughts.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Baravakar

Re: NPC Stat Blocks - How much detail?

Postby Baravakar » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:53 am

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:13 pm

An interesting option was brought up on Facebook. Full stats for "Core" characters, & just the basics for the others. Then, provide full stats for some of the other characters as downloads from the site here.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:24 pm

I would argue splitting the difference. While full stats are a bit much, just the Circle doesn't meet the needs of new GMs. We're not as skilled at pulling things together on the fly.

cz1234

Postby cz1234 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:59 pm

An additional piece of information that is nice for adepts is any thread items that are in play. Taking the generic thief template, plus attributes given, plus interesting thread items should be enough to really flesh out any npc.

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:36 pm

I voted Other -- honestly, in a setting book, I'm not looking for Stats at all, and given that this isn't Paranoia - by which I mean, players often have and read the setting books, too, and that's generally great because it lets them know things about the world their characters should know - having statted out NPCs in them can actually be detrimental. I want descriptions, and most of all, I want to know what is known about them, which is not necessarily what is true. One of my favorite things about the Earthdawn setting books is that, by and large, they were essentially in character, as if your players could walk into the Library of Throal and read that scroll, right up to the "Game Information" chapter in the back. Even Horrors. I know some other games that sort of tried to do that, but none that pulled it off as well, and it really makes Earthdawn one of the most immersive games out there, still.

Keeping with the example of Garlthik One-Eye... should the players actually know that he's a 15th Circle Thief? Sure, that seems obvious, but then again, what if he's a 5th Circle Thief, 12th Circle Illusionist? That.. actually might explain the Eyes better... in a lot of ways, trying to organize thievery like that seems more like the act of an Illusionist wanting to teach everyone an important lesson than of a proper Thief. Or maybe he's a 10th Circle Thief, 10th Circle Warrior -- one who integrated their philosophies with the belief that all Thieves are `his', and therefor his charges to protect. Or... or... you know. Whatever. Now, it's clearly and obviously true that a GM can change these things if they want to anyway, but it is harder in the face of an established canon in the Actual Rules.

If they do have to have stats, at all, especially for the important ones, I would like it kept short and quick, and, ideally, a couple of options. Similar, for inspirational purposes, to the way the Amber DRPG did the writeups of the Elder Amberites -- each one had three choices, which not only gave more ideas, but also really made it clear that none of these were.. canon, they were just likely possibilities, and makes it clear to players right off the bat that the GM could be using any or none of these. They also give new GMs more inspiration and... hm. Permission, I think is the word I'm looking for. Just as new GMs often have a harder time statting out a full NPC on the fly, they are also much less confident changing the world for their own purposes.

So you could have, "Garlthik, Master Thief: A 15th Circle Thief Adept, with these suggested Talent Options..."

And.. "Garlthik, Secret Illusionst: A 5th Circle Thief/12th Circle Illusionist, with these suggested Talent Options... And a fondness for these spells.."

And.. "Galrthik, Hidden Warlord: 10th Circle Thief/10th Circle Warrior, with these suggested Talent Options..."

...Or what have you. You might not want to get into the habit of giving them titles like that, actually, since then you have to do it for everybody, but I find them evocative.

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Slimcreeper

Postby Slimcreeper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:54 pm

I voted to have the stats, if not in excruciating detail, but this is the age of the internet, man! Put that mess online! In the book, all we need is what etherial says.

Return to “For Game Masters”