Book of Tomorrow

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tattered Rags
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Book of Tomorrow

Postby Tattered Rags » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:11 pm

Are there any good resources for quotes from the Book of Tomorrow? I'm planning out an adventure and would like to borrow others' work. Otherwise, I get to write out the appropriate passages.

Slimcreeper

Re: Book of Tomorrow

Postby Slimcreeper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 am

The Throal Sourcebook, or bartlett's quotations online.

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:21 am

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:28 am

The Throal book has a few references for the Council Compact, but nothing from the Book of Tomorrow (IIRC).
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:36 am

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Okay, I wrote my own.

(Intersperse coughing fits throughout, Meshra appears sick, but still strong.)

Good day, everyone. Thank you for coming. As always, we are gathered to learn <cough> from our forefathers. This tome, the Book of Tomorrow, is truly our only link to our past, to the days before the Scourge. The Empire of Thera had the Books of Harrow which warned of the Horrors’ coming and taught them magical rituals of protection. While Thera enslaved all of us in Barsaive, magic gained strength and the Horrors <cough-cough> began came. Thera lorded over us the magical rituals of protection they learned from the Books of Harrow. They enslaved Barsaive, but they gave their subjects those magical rituals so we could hide ourselves, safe and sound, underground in this Kaer. Their rites saved us, along with the Obsidimen of Ungada Liferock, who have attuned their own special magic to purify our waters and help us thrive.

But the Book of Tomorrow is not only about our past. Given to us by the Dwarves of the Kingdom <cough> of Throal, we learn from it those past mistakes we hope not to repeat; we gain a common language that we might be understood when we return to the surface; and we read about the sun, the lives and freedoms that our children will someday enjoy up above. And, important in the light of recent protestations, it also teaches us how to tell when the surface would once again be safe for us to inhabit.

For this month’s reading, I would like to look at an excerpt from the section “On Magic Levels and Determining the End of the Scourge”. “Having performed the proper rituals and cast the enchantments, the ball of True Earth will remain suspended above the dish of True Water. As the strength of the world’s magical energy rises, so too does the ball of True Earth, but as well together they also descend. When the magical power of the world crosses that fateful threshold, and the Horrors are forced back to their accursed Astral realm, the True Earth will have lowered to touch and mix with the True Water. In this way you will know it is safe to leave your protections and venture once again to the surface.”

Held safe in our Council Hall is this apparatus, for any who wishes to look at it. But I have brought it out to you today to remind you that 100 years ago, after 400 years of us huddled here watching it slowly fall, the True Earth stopped moving.

[Coughing, Elder Meshra removes an ornate cloth from a crystal sphere about 6 inches across set atop a small stone stand. The bottom of the sphere holds half an inch of the purest water imaginable. Floating an inch above this is a perfectly formed ball of dirt, black and fertile.]

The Horrors still ravage the…I mean…I, we cannot-. Oh, Passions, it hurts!

[At this, she promptly vomits forth a writhing mass of rotten flesh and maggots about the size of a loaf of bread. Shock and terror are etched on her face as she stares at the thing. (This is a Horror construct called a Maggot Mask, though at this time the PC’s would have no clue what it is.)]

[The crowd starts to scream, most fleeing to get as far away as possible. A smaller group instead begins to yell, “She’s Horror Marked! Kill her! The Horrors want us to stay! She brought the sickness on us!” The Player Characters’ Adept instructors form a circle around Elder Meshra to dissuade any immediate assaults while also putting her under arrest. The lead instructor yells at the Players, “We’ll take the Elder into custody. Kill that thing!” While the instructors back the Elder away towards the Council Hall while also deftly and non-fatally defend her against the riot, the PCs must ready to battle this Horror construct.]

It's important to note that in my mind the PCs will still be First Circle, having just attained that. The Maggot Mask is planned to be a Novice level Horror Construct, a First or Second Circle threat. I'll have stats up on it later, should anyone care to see, but I can't promise they'll be balanced.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:37 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Tattered Rags

Postby Tattered Rags » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:00 am

LouProsperi

Postby LouProsperi » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:09 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”