4th Edition Reviews?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Dale

Re: 4th Edition Reviews?

Postby Dale » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:07 pm

One way I've used to simplify things for my new players is to eliminate attribute numbers completely. We use it during character creation, but I only use step numbers on the character sheets. For some reason the attribute gives step which gives dice seemed to annoy my new players. Now, they just think of their step as their attribute. The differences in lift/carry and other derived things are fairly inconsequential. The only thing I really had to change was buying up an attribute. I simply tripled the costs (3 raises for 1 step raise) and limit each attribute to 1 increase for most attributes and 2 for their primary attribute.

I give my players the option of adding/subtracting bonuses or changing dice. With the exception of one person they all like the different dice.

The new bonuses for every +5 has made that bit easier as did the removal of armor defeating hits.
Dale

zayven
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Telarus, yes and yes.

Now, I've only ever been a GM for Earthdawn, so I might feel differently if I was a player. It's a game with tons of options that are cool in theory, but I've never found them to be as exciting in practice. I was very excited for 4th edition and I think it did what it set out to do, but after playing a lot of D&D 5e, it was tough to go back to Earthdawn.

zayven
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:17 pm

And I say that as someone who pretty much hates the traditional, combat heavy D&D experience (which is why I hate Pathfinder).

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:18 pm

I have also considered ditching Attribute Values, and simply recording the Step and how many "improvement pips" you have (0-2). Buying a third "pip" would advance you to the next Step. As you say, this removes another "layer of abstraction" which is often where people get confused/lost/frustrated.

zayven

Postby zayven » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:52 pm

I seem to recall this attribute/step idea being bandied around in one of the threads around the time 4e was announced. It's a good one. It's a minor example of a "sacred cow" that ought to have been slain. I know why they were kept, but my point at the time was that there had to be other ways of accomplishing the same goal.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Utsukushi

Postby Utsukushi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Jkar of Ishpier

Postby Jkar of Ishpier » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Jkar of Ishpier

Postby Jkar of Ishpier » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”