[ED4] Does Defensive Stance slow your Initiative?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ChrisDDickey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[ED4] Does Defensive Stance slow your Initiative?

Postby ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:12 am

For some reason I thought that only wounds and armor and shield penalties affected the Initiative roll, but I am no longer as sure of that as I was yesterday.

Combat Options are to be declared before Initiative, and Defensive Stance lowers all tests except knockdown tests by 3. So it seems like it does, but also seems to me like it should not.

So all the things that effect "all tests" also effect Initiative? Wounds, being knocked down, making a tail attack, Etc. ?

Thanks.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Re: [ED4] Does Defensive Stance slow your Initiative?

Postby Mataxes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 am

I've never played with Defensive Stance affecting Initiative. Other modifiers -- Wound penalties, for example -- do.

(Not sure why. Never really thought about it.)

If you want it to, I don't see there being a problem with it. In one regard it makes sense that if you're Defensive, you would act "slower" because you're looking to protect yourself, meaning you're likely watching to react to others.

The main reason for having combat options declared before Initiative is to prevent 'gaming' the Init results. ("I rolled low? Guess I'll declare Aggressive Attack after my opponent has gone -- that way I don't suffer the Defense penalty.")
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 am

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:17 pm

I also apply it to Initiative rolls.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:36 pm

So do I.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:50 pm

The penalty probably should apply to Initiative.

I just don't think we ever did at my table (when we played regularly).

It's one of those oversights/house rules that, "as long as you're applying it consistently, it shouldn't be a problem."
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

ChrisDDickey

Postby ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks everybody.
So I guess that is what the RAW says, and it looks like about half the people are doing it that way, and half aren't. But I agree that so long as you are consistent it should not matter too much.

I must say that this makes the lowly Tail Slap attack even worse than it already was. -2 to primary attack, -2 to primary damage. -2 to tail attack, -2 to the tail attacks already wimpy damage. -2 to all defensive rolls you are making. Now add -2 to Initiative. What was already a very poor option just became downright silly.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:26 pm

It is a free attack after all. As its not a real skill/talent (Strain), it has to get some limitations. But even with those, additional free attack with forged attached weapon is good choice.

Tskrangs also have stat boost, and most important they can swim much faster then other races (especially faster than obsidiman :P ) and can breath underwater for a short time - compared to other races its great.

If GM doesnt give a tskrang player oportunities to show this, his an ass :P

Return to “For Game Masters”