Windling Weapons

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ArcadianRefugee
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Windling Weapons

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:29 am

I was curious about a simple conversion for weapons to "windling" them. I mean, we've the windling sword, windling bow, windling polearm....

What about a windling dagger? Quarterstaff?

**I know this starts to get into making racial size a lot more complicated, but these weapons no doubt exist, and while they may do little against the larger races, they no doubt were used against one another.

Like I said, I realize this starts to get into weird realms and maybe way-too realistic -- a troll sword would be doing a lot more damage (in theory) vs a windling while a windling dagger would not even be life-threatening vs an obsidiman.**

That's neither here nor there; musing is all. Still, keeping in the realm of what is established, how would one create windling versions of weapons?

/feel free to ignore everything in the **'s

ChrisDDickey

Re: Windling Weapons

Postby ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:53 am

My gut reaction is to suggest the player forget about it. The book lists the most common culturally adopted weapons. Any two handed weapon is going to have stats fairly similar to a windling pole arm.

If pressed, I would warn that while they could have other weapons, not all weapons are well suited for use while flying or against foes below the wielder. Off the top of my head, I would think that axe and mace type weapons would probably be particularly unsuited for use while flying, but a windling on the ground might use them OK.

If looking for a quick rule of thumb, you might just halve the damage and min STR. Size becomes one or two depending of if the weapon was one or two handed for a human.

It might be better to subtract 6 from the min STR required to wield and half the damage.

Razan_GM

Postby Razan_GM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:37 am

Windling dagger = knife, dmg step 1, size 1.

As for Windling Quarterstaff (50 cm stick), dmg step 1, size 2 (2 handed). Dmg 1 because spear have dmg step 2 (spear have blade).

Most windling weapons are effective if they are cutting/thrusting, because windlings to be efficient attack vital areas (eyes and so on). Most blunt attacks from windlings dont have enough impetus to do any damage (except other small things) to a human size (or bigger) target.

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 am

Namegivers of Barsaive (ED3 - Page 236) has a chart listing the stats for Windling (and Troll) melee weapons.

Windlings do rarely use weapons that carry a lot of momentum, such as axes or maces, and shun weapons like the flail that may damage their unprotected wings if out of control.

Windling Quarterstaff - Damage Step 2; size 2; weight 1; STR Min 3, Dex Min 7; cost 7sp
Windling Spear - Damage Step 2; size 1; weight 8 oz; STR Min 4; cost 25sp
Windling Pole Arm - Damage Step 4; size 2; weight 2; STR Min 7; cost 55sp

ArcadianRefugee

Postby ArcadianRefugee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Oo! Good find, Baravakar! Thanks a heap!

freid78

Postby freid78 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:09 pm

rule of thumb, substract 2 step to damage and weapon size. Cost should be 75% of original.

Weapons are already without specific rules. You should consider the Savage World template of "melee weapon step damage 2" and forget all about dwarf sword vs short sword and such. Your windling has a melee weapon of step 2 (and roleplay skin your weapon as a sword or a club if need be).

Return to “For Game Masters”