About illusions

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
freid78
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

About illusions

Postby freid78 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm curious about how strong illusionist are.

#1 Can an illusionnist create an entire illusionary room? Something like a living room with a fireplace, an armchair and a small table with a candle holder on it.

#2 Can an illusionnist hide an entire room with illusions? Something like a scealed room with soundproof for hideouts.

#3 I've seen something pretty amazing in Kratas : City of Thieves and wonder how this can be made. A secret room that hides in astral space. Is that an illusionnist feat?

Thanks in advance.

freid78

Re: About illusions

Postby freid78 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:44 pm

This topic seems to attract no reply, so let me bring a new concept to it.

#4 Could you make an illusionnary room, that looks like a library?

#5 Could you make an illusionnary book?

#6 Could you create an entire virtual library?

In my game, Jerris has an important illusionnist academy and inside it's walls, there's the virtual library where books are not tangible. They are all illusions! This idea goes back to the library of Alexandria, or rather the reborn of it at : http://www.bibalex.org/en/default

Anyone, your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

ChrisDDickey

Postby ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 pm

I don't have any answers, but allow me to toss in a few more questions generally related to the question of how powerful illusionists are.

An illusion can't affect mindless things. If an illusionist cast an ephemeral bolt at a pumpkin, he might fool other namegivers into believing that the pumpkin had been destroyed, but the pumpkin itself, being mindless can suffer no damage.
If he cast ephemeral bolt at a namegiver, the namegiver could suffer damage, but could also choose to disbelieve, and thus suffer no damage.

Is there, and if so where, a gap where something is smart enough to be affected by an illusion, but too dumb to ever disbelieve?
Is your average wild animal or monster smart enough to disbelieve illusions?

I imagine that many animals could be trained to distinguish between them, and some monsters that have illusionary powers might also have learned. But your average wild animal or monster? Would they ever disbelieve a combat spell?

etherial

Postby etherial » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

freid78

Postby freid78 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks Mataxes. All those A-B-C seems possible and I would certainly consider that if the books/library was a 1 adept made. But for Jerris, it's a collective work. To make this possible, i've design different rooms with specific topics, meaning the library is not composed of 1 universal spell for everything, but i've broken it into different spells. Easier to upgrade with new material and to divide work between the illusionnist. In other word, it's not the perfect virtual library, but hey... this is Jerris, not Thera :P

On a spin-off, i've made the "Eternal Library" in Iopos. Since Iopien are masters in magic (mostly because of the dragon-shit), i've thought about a library that would contain all the book from present to past. Using Wizardy magic to go "back in time" (inspired by mental library and observe event spells) and record everything that is, that was. Still, the therans hold the best magical library out there (if you don't consider dragon-shard that can hold info). I was inspired by the library of babel (https://libraryofbabel.info/) where this can hold all the books, those from the past, the present and the future! Even if this library seem utterly to powerful, the major flaw is that it present all the possible outcome in a massive account of books, way to big to sort it all out. So the theran have access to futur tech (airships for example) and futur events (Barsaive at war) but they need to get lucky on how to built them, or how events may unfold. So you have like hundred of scribes just going through that library and they could spend their entire life reading useless books.

Food for thought, about library.

Mataxes
Site Admin

Postby Mataxes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Yeah, anything on the scale you're talking about would require the work of multiple Illusionists, would likely involve powerful talents/spells, as well as enchanting and possibly ritual magic.

That is, not directly possible by the RAW right now, but I think it can be extrapolated from them and certainly falls under the purview of illusion magic.
Josh Harrison --
Troubadour and Magic Theorist
Line Developer: Earthdawn

Kasbak

Postby Kasbak » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:12 am

[quote="freid78"
#2 Can an illusionnist hide an entire room with illusions? Something like a scealed room with soundproof for hideouts.
[/quote]

I've long used and played in games that use tasked air elementals for sound proofing. Idea being that, since the sound waves travel through the air, an elemental can contain those sound waves to a confined space via their manipulation of the element. Not to say an Illusionist couldn't (and sound manipulation does seem to be within their realm; given Bellow of the Thundras being an Illusionist spell, it would simply be an opposite effect of that). just another possible approach.

Telarus_KSC

Postby Telarus_KSC » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:55 pm

A Named or otherwise anchored(enchanted) version of Nobody's Here would accomplish that. I like to think of Nobody's Here as a combination effect. Real sound dampening and "desert haze" light blending along the radius, plus a strong compulsion to ignore what's going on inside the radius (like the Hitchicker's Guide's "Somebody-Else's-Problem Field Generator"). Following the spell, I would have the character(s) perform a ritual and roll Perception [plus enchanter's Spellcasting Rank] vs everyone in the room's Mystic Defense each time they entered the room and turned on the "ward". Have is cost something, a material component that the enchantment consumes, and keep in mind that it is now a free-floating spell-pattern in astral space & can be interacted with on that level.

Return to “For Game Masters”