Casting/missile weapon in melee

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cz1234
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Casting/missile weapon in melee

Postby cz1234 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:22 am

Some questions came up in my game.

First, can you cast or use a missile weapon out of melee. Let's say the PC can't or doesn't want to move when they are getting beat on in melee. Can they use their bow to attack another person that is within range? Same thing but can you cast earth darts on someone that isn't in melee with you?

Second, is there any minimum range to projectile spells? All thrown/missile weapons has a minimum range of 2, many spells (earth darts, ice mace and chain) have essentially a throwing aspect to them. It would seem reasonable that they would also possibly have a minimum range.

To me it reads as spells do not have a minimum range and spell casting does not have the equivalent of D&D concentration so being in melee doesn't matter. Or more specifically ED casters can go into melee and operate exactly as they do at a distance. On that same note ED casters can wear any armor they want.

It also reads to me as if archers can fire out of melee, being attacked does not stop you from using your bow it is the minimum range that keeps you from using it on melee targets.

So what is the "official" rule? And does anyone play with any house rules around this stuff?

Thanks!

etherial

Re: Casting/missile weapon in melee

Postby etherial » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:30 pm

You are essentially correct. Ranged weapons do have a minimum range, but it is 2 yards. You can fire at someone in melee combat with you (i.e. in adjacent hexen), but not someone who is grappling you or otherwise too close for you to effectively move about (i.e. in the same hex). Note that there is a risk of hitting allies when firing into a melee.

This is all on p. 393 of the Players' Guide.

Return to “For Game Masters”