House Rules: Purifier Update

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Baravakar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

House Rules: Purifier Update

Postby Baravakar » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:38 am

Baravakar

Re: House Rules: Purifier Update

Postby Baravakar » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:01 pm

Here is my own commentary:

The Half- Magic ability is borrowed from the summoning classes, Elementalist/Nethermacer who can use half magic to detect spirits with the range.

First Circle Discipline Talents: Was debated over to keep the same as the original. It was decided to give the Avoid Blow because all of the other tank disciplines (Durability 7) get it at first circle. This pushed back Wound Balance to circle 2.

Third Circle Karma was taken from Panda's Site. I like it. The idea of what is considered corrupted because a matter of meta-physical debate best left up to the individual GM. I find Life Sight as a requirement for the class (discipline). Purifiers are dedicate to finding and eliminating corruption bringing the world back to balance. As such, the can enhance the ability thru half-magic to literally see if a beings life force has been corrupted by an outside source.

I see purifiers and a very defensive tank discipline. I need to be able to resist magics that will corrupt them. So at Circle 4 they get Steel Thought.

As for the novice optional talents most were the active defensive talents (Acrobatic Defense, Anticipate Blow, Maneuver) in keeping with a marital artist mentality. The others (Battle Shout, Danger Sense, Tiger Spring, Sprint) keep in this line for the same reasons. The last two (Animal Bond, Wilderness Survival) were chosen for the purifiers connection to the natural world. Animal Bond is generally considered a "pet" talent, but its has the ability to turn encounters with natural animals into a Neutral, live and let live situation. If a purifier is saving an area from corruption the natural animals in that area can thru the ability see the adept is not an enemy,

Circle 5: Earth Bond was subject to much debate and we toned down to a healing buff. The option to reverse the process is going to be added back in with the effects similar to the Elementalist spell, Thrive. The original discipline information had this ability being able to harm the land. Purifiers that harm the land suffer a talent crisis. As such, this can not harm the land, it does not drain life from the area. It taps into the natural reserves of the entire planet. (Think of Goku's spirit bomb attack in Dragon Ball Z)

Suppress Curse at Circle 6 ended up being the best choice available. This allows the purifier to resist any negative effects on himself or others. He sort of generates a purification field stopping the ability from working for sort time. Hopefully long enough to defeat the initiator.

Circle 7 and 8 were talents were unchanged from the original.

freid78

Postby freid78 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:30 pm

I would have to see what ED4 has in mind before making comments.

Is the purifier still an upcoming discipline for ED4th?

On the other hand, that discpline might be accessible in like what, a year (maybe too, considering the current time table) on ED4, so it's pretty nice that you share this, so that we could use it now. I would strongly suggest playtesting a high circle for like 3-4 sessions to see if there are loop-holes and such, before using it. You could introduce a purifier master to your game, for example.

I don't like having new names for same talents. Having a "body control" that does exactly the same as claws shape without the claws seem odd at best. Nurf it, or just use claws. If you don't like the "claw shape" idea, just scrap it. Do we need a damage buff for a purifier? Especially after you said it's a "defensive tank". You should make him more resilient, not more destructive (crushing blow and momentum attack goes into that line of thought as well).

Same goes to clay skin. Just make it wood skin. And wood = nature, so you ain't to far from it. Beside, the user can always fluff his talent to make it look different from wood if need be.

As for Earth Bond, I had a purifier once and I was forced to place him under a discipline crisis because he was damaging the nature more than healing it! I would suggest mimicking the blood share talent, nature version to make it work (share, don't kill), but I would still prefer something more in line of removing the taint, or reducing the effect of magical corruption. Perhaps something in line of abate/suppress curse, nature version? I'm not suggesting to remove astral taint (at least not at that circle), but rather the attenuate the effect of astral corruption on the physical realm.

I hope this helps

Baravakar

Postby Baravakar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Return to “For Game Masters”